Diagnostic help: 69 fj40 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

isn't that an air filter in those first two pics? Sorry I'm a neophyte
No problem - this forum is a great place to learn. It is where I learned everything. In your third pic (showing the top view), just above where the red meets the black wire, you will see a opening in your valve cover. This is a direct opening to your valves. On the stock original setup, there would have been a hose from your air filter housing on top on your original carb to that opening to filter air into the valve cover. By switching to a Weber carb (which also has an air filter to filter air into the carb), you need to cap that inlet port to keep debris from getting in. The link I posted is a perfect fit for that inlet. I used it in my ‘70.

45775D96-A888-4D07-9FD6-AF67A167C883.jpeg

Like this

There is supposed to be a barb where your duct tape resides on the Weber air cleaner, to a hose, to the valve cover.

Follow the fuel line into the carb, back to the firewall, is there a part (mechanical fuel pump) mounted on the engine block?

You probably have an intake manifold leak.

In the second pic in post#13, the return spring is mounted on a bracket on the choke breaker. Make sure that those three screws are snug, otherwise the loss of vacuum will keep the butterflies, and choke breaker, totally closed and the engine will be getting insufficient air to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom