Diagnosis Oil Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So over the last year I have replaced my oil pan gasket, and installed a mech gauge to ease any oil fears. I have one small drip from the flywheel inspection cover that might drip once every 3 days, and a little more often when we're on the highway for an extended time. Figured maybe some was getting past the rear main but no worries. Today in Lubbock it is 95 degrees and I went out running errands. For about an hour or so. After my first stop I noticed a good size drip mark underneath, at the store and figured nah not my guy. Now that we've been home for an hour or so I went outside and almost puked. There is a softball size oil spot under the rig, and it's dripping from 4 different spots under the flywheel cover and theres some blow by on the pan. :whoops:
Checked the oil level and it was fine maybe even higher:hmm: than it was a few days ago? My eyes are constantly on the pressure gauge and it's a steady 65 psi. Water temp is below halfway, what the hell is going on here? How would my dipstick level read higher that normal while I'm losing oil? Please wise one's gimme some input. Thanks, Hambone

Check your fuel pump. Sometimes when the diaphragm goes bad, gas gets into the oil sump. Does your oil smell like gas?

can you explain that a bit more? i've got an exponential oil leak as well, i get good power but terrible gas mileage. never heard of the problem you described. subscribed.

Checked the oil level and it was fine maybe even higher:hmm: than it was a few days ago? My eyes are constantly on the pressure gauge and it's a steady 65 psi. Water temp is below halfway, what the hell is going on here? How would my dipstick level read higher that normal while I'm losing oil? Please wise one's gimme some input. Thanks, Hambone

was it higher or you "think" it's higher?
the fuel pump diaphragm allowing gas into the oil is possible however the oil would have a very strong gas smell, and your pressure would be down.
if you checked the level while the oil was still hot once, when you normally check the level with the oil in a cool/cold state, that would effect where you see the level on the stick.

If you're oil level is not dropping rapidly then ease back with the worry, just check the level more often. A small amount of oil can leave a big mess. Recheck the oil pan bolts, some may be a little loose and allowing the leakage you're seeing.

I keep my oil level at 1/16 of an inch under full. After yesterday it was reading at full maybe even a shade over. This was after driving 1.5 hours around town in 96 degree heat. Maybe the oil after getting good and warm was reading higher I agree. But today after driving it 8 miles to the golf course and back, no drips. I'm gonna retorque my rear pan bolts (to spec) for the 2nd time and see if maybe, hopefully that is it. I dont see it coming from the inside of the flywheel cover so I hope the rear main is ok. Will a infrared thermo give me an accurate engine temp reading? With these temperatures I wanna make sure the idiot gauge is doing its job. PO replaced water pump and belts, along with thermostat a couple years ago.
Didn't notice any gas smell in the oil, but thanks for the input. Prolly just overreacting again. I just love my rig man and this s@#t gets my heart going. Thanks I'll watch it over the week and keep ya posted.

can you explain that a bit more? i've got an exponential oil leak as well, i get good power but terrible gas mileage. never heard of the problem you described. subscribed.

I've been running Lucas complete fuel system treatment over the last 4 tanks and I am now feeling a difference. Seems to help the around town gas usage a lil bit. But about to do a complete tune up along with all new vac lines, and a valve job. So maybe thatll help. I'm not holding my breath:eek:. What should a good valve adjustment run if I do chicken out and let a mech do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom