Dex III compatible with Dex II in P. Steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know if it's OK to use the newer Dex III tranny fluid in the 80's power steering, which calls for Dex II. I ask because I've heard of a couple tranny incompatibilities where the newer fluid was incompatible or did not protect bronze bushings in older trannies where Dex II is absolutely required for this reason.

So, any experts on this issue out there?

IdahoDoug

Can you get II? I use III. It is bothers you C-Dan should be able to get you the clear Dex Toyota fluid used in the PS.
If I didn't have so much III I would go with syn. Dex.

If it helps, I'm using valvoline ATF w/ Dextron III/Mercon in my PS (1st gen runner)...used the lazy turkey baster method to remove the original,dark fluid, turned the wheel lock to lock, repeat until the entire quart was used. So far, no leaks. :) I heard a number of nightmare stories of people using "power steering fluid" have subsequently having their PS system leak. Upon switching back to Dex II/III ATF, the leaking stopped. The label says the Dextron III supposed to meet/exceed all requirements for Dextron II. My PS resevoir also specs ATF w/ Dextron II, but I couldn't find any.

Well, just finished flushing the PS system and putting fresh in and have the following advice.

The manual says to remove the return hose after emptying the reservoir and turning the wheels back and forth with the engine off a couple times. I kept turning them back and forth until no more fluid came out and it was about 10 times. I think this is better since you've gotten as much of the old fluid out before refilling with the engine on, which would mix old/new.

Also, when filling the manual says to "start the engine and shut if off when fluid comes out the return hose in 1-2 seconds". Baloney. Fluid SPEWS out almost the second the engine catches and the reservoir is instantly emptied and the pump is full of foam. I then pulled the FI fuse (conveniently under your left elbow while you're doing this) and pumped the new fluid in with 3 second starter cycles. It was much easier to prevent emptying the reservoir and having to start over with getting air out. After about 6 cycles like this, the fluid was coming out bright red and clear. THEN put the fuse in and start the engine to cycle the wheels back and forth a few times.

The noise seemed reduced immediately, but still there in a quick drive around the neighborhood, and a faint steering shudder was gone. The real test will be when the system is fully up to temp driving around town, but I was encouraged. I also noted that there were some fine bubbles in the fluid coming out at the very end. I suspect this was due to the foaming/spew incident and it may be several days before these bubbles are purged and any potential cavitating whine is gone.

The return hose showed a bit of cracking at its tip, so I'll replace that at some point, too.

IdahoDoug

I went to ATF and my PS is better than ever before.

*chucks 2 pennies onto the table*

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=5737;start=msg45802#msg45802 date=1064841108]
Another fine reason not to use p/s fluid is because it's clear and comes in the pint bottles. I have personally done three complete brake systems replacements due to people putting p/s fluid in the master cylinder.
[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: Damn, that's going to leave a mark.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=5737;start=msg45802#msg45802 date=1064841108]
Another fine reason not to use p/s fluid is because it's clear and comes in the pint bottles. I have personally done three complete brake systems replacements due to people putting p/s fluid in the master cylinder.
[/quote]

One guy on 4x4wire had this happen to his rig...Jiffy Lube put P/S fluid in his MC. One week later, his brake system suddenly seized up.

A buddy had the local Texaco station replace the brake fluid in his Wrangler. About a week later, the brake system started leaking like a sieve. I'm fairly certain it was tranny fluid, but it might have been motor oil they put in - can't recall. Anyhow, they refused to honor it so he took them to small claims court. The judge knew nothing about cars and wasn't bright enough to grasp the significance of it all. He had all the paper work, a written assessment from a reputable mechanic as to what he found in the brake system, etc all to no avail Seems like it cost him nearly $750 to get the brake system right again. Incredible.

IdahoDoug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom