Development thread - repro Toyota sticker for FJ40 (45?) rear sill, ‘64-66 or so (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Threads
Edit - 7/17/18 - A 2nd batch may be made, see details here -> Repro Toyota stickers for FJ40 (45?) rear sill, ‘64-66 or so

Posting this here with moderator permission to gauge interest. If it happens, sales will be in the Small Business section.

Thinking ahead to painting my ‘64, I have been looking at various bits that I will need/want to replace when I put it back together. And one of those items is the Toyota sticker on the rear sill that was used for a few years starting with the ‘64 model year.

After a bit of research and comparison, I’ve decided that the currently available reproduction is not accurate enough to make me happy, and I’m looking to commission something better.

The current repro is too small, has too much black area above and below the white letters, and does not have reflective letters as the originals did. and worst is that it has a white border around the whole sticker that the originals did not have. The white border could be trimmed, but that would make the already small size even more so. This picture (provided by @HelloKitty65 ) shows the differences.

Update - I now have one of the current repros in hand, and I need to make a correction. It does NOT have a white border, it is black all the way to the edges as it should be. It is—however—quite a bit smaller overall than the original, with too much black padding proportionally. It is over 1/2" too short in length, and 5/16" too short in height. It would look a touch small on a freshly painted tub, but would not cover the original sticker area on a tub where you were replacing an original without paint.

47CB1544-8F43-4D2E-BE5D-B179C6EF0B05.jpeg

I am looking to have a small batch made. Probably 10 or so, perhaps more if there is demand. Using dimensions and such from my own painted over sticker and also from other surviving originals, the new stickers will be 7 9/16” x 1 11/16”. Like the original, no white border, black all the way to the edges. The letters will fill most of the vertical space, being 1 9/16” tall with 1/16” padding above and below. Horizontal padding will be 5/16” on both sides.

If I can get this done, I expect price to come in at $20-22 per sticker, shipped.

I welcome any comments and discussion.

Last edited:
I thought these stickers were only on earlier rigs, before 64? Maybe that’s just the 45’s.

Form what I’ve read, on 40s the sticker started with the ‘64 model year (late ‘63 builds) and continued until the actual Toyota corner emblem was introduced. I’m uncertain when the emblem replaced the sticker, probably in ‘66, I think.

My theory is federal law required maker ID and that's why they added them. Wonder if other countries got them.
later5.jpg

Form what I’ve read, on 40s the sticker started with the ‘64 model year (late ‘63 builds) and continued until the actual Toyota corner emblem was introduced. I’m uncertain when the emblem replaced the sticker, probably in ‘66, I think.
The first listing I see is in my Jan. 1965 parts book, 75450-60010 FJ40/43 75450-60020 FJ42L HTH, John

I always figured it was added at the request of the dealers. To the uninformed drivers following an FJ40 in ‘62-63, it looked much the same as a j**p.

Looks like there is enough interest that I won’t run too much risk of having a bunch left over, in fact, I may need to increase the first run beyond the minimum. Please continue to comment, and if you notice something wrong about my description, please let me know soon.

I hope to open this up in the Small Business marketplace in a few weeks. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I might get another one, but won’t really need it since Mark (cppilot) graciously sent me one for my ‘63 FJ45 SWB. Here’s a pic, looks like it matches what you’re looking for wrt border/black sizing. He said he got it from another mudder a while back. Maybe contact him and he can give you details. Paul
IMG_1170.JPG

I might get another one, but won’t really need it since Mark (cppilot) graciously sent me one for my ‘63 FJ45 SWB. Here’s a pic, looks like it matches what you’re looking for wrt border/black sizing. He said he got it from another mudder a while back. Maybe contact him and he can give you details. Paul
That's a really nice example. If I could find that one available today I wouldn't be pursuing this.

Two for me please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom