1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

detroit locker and 5.29's

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fatboy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. fatboy

fatboy

hey all
    i want to jam some 5.29's in my rig when i looked them up at work everything was fine but the computer did have a "note" it stated that that ratio will not work with a detroit locker. well i have a detroit in the rear. as a mechanic the only obstical i see is not being able to get the cross pin in the diff case (ring gear teeth to large). anyone else have such a problem?
    i would love some insight.

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

gonna hafta do some significant grinding of the ring gear teeth...

have to do it with an ARB as well...

Only in the rear though.

IMO I would look to a transfer/transmission swap first for super low gearing, then maybe 4.88's. (less grinding)

3. Mark W

Mark W

You have to do a LOT of grindingto put 5.29s into the semi-floating Cruiser dif. Regardless of whether there is a locker or not. Too much grinding for my tastes and most others who have seen/used these gears. They're great with FF axles, but until I am convinced by others using them and making them survive in semi-floaters, I won't install them in anything but an FF axle.

Mark...

4. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

It does take a hell of a lot of grinding, But I also have yet to see one fail due to teeth ground down..

Even on a 62 with 38's and a stupid driver :D

5. Mark W

Mark W

Yeah, I k now that there are a few out there in SF axles. I want to see how time and milage treats them, ot just the occasional romp on the pedal. ;)

Mark...

6. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Mileage will tell, most of the rigs with 5.29's that I know of are trail rigs. But they do romp on the throttle with them ;)

7. Dennis@Moab

Dennis@Moab

It seems to me that you have to grind the teeth ,on any set of lower gear sets, even stock ones when you install a detroit.

8. Mark W

Mark W

I'd love to be convinced that the 5.29s will not be adversely affected by the amount of material you need to remove and the number of teeth it neds to be removed from. I'm running them in one rig with a FF rear axle and I love the gearing. But the places I spend my off road time require either a hundred or a two hundred mile on way run to reach the trailhead. A couple of other areas I need to expand my explorations into will call for 200-250 mile one way trip to the trailhead. Lots of closer in stuff, but the real untraveled country is further out. Once we reach the trailhead we're usually looking at a 150+ mile trip before we leave the trails. Pushing that up toward 300 miles in a couple of areas. With plenty of high throttle stuff mixed in with the distance.

It's a pretty tough mix of stuff to build a rig for. It has to be part trail toy and part expedition rig.

So right now I'm sitting back and waiting to see how they hold up over time for the guys who cut them up enough to fit them in SF axles before I try that approach myself. I'm just about ready to put my wife's new FJ62 on the road. Running 35s right now and putting 4.88s in it. I'd love to put a little taller tire (36-38) and keep the gearing close to stock.
    What the heck maybe I'll get tired of waitng for someone else to prove it one way or the other and start some "testing" myself. Although if my wife's rig winds up disabled 80 miles from the road because of my trying something that I suspected wouldn't work... she won't be happy with me... ;)

Mark...

9. Mark W

Mark W

You have to grind the teeth on any set of lower gears, regardless of the locker you may or may not install (open diff too) if you running an SF axle. But the steeper the ratio, the thicker the ring gear and the more you have to grind. eventually you are getting into the loaded section of the tooth and having to take material off more and more teeth.

Mark...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">