Detroit Electrac locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ARB, or Toyota. Why would you need anything else...

Last year I talked to one of the reps at a trade show, he said one of lockers(for another ap) could(or had) been used on a Cruiser diff...........at least I think thats what I remember ;) true or not I got no idea

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=9789;start=msg86371#msg86371 date=1073516210]
ARB, or Toyota. Why would you need anything else...

[/quote]

Bingo... if you hate air, go electric.. hate electric, go cable...
ARB's and OEM's PROVEN! :D

Kurt, where do you get an oem electric for a fj40 and what do they run pricewise?

[quote author=cruiseroutfit link=board=1;threadid=9789;start=msg86714#msg86714 date=1073550979]
Bingo... if you hate air, go electric.. hate electric, go cable...
ARB's and OEM's PROVEN! :D
[/quote]

were do you find cable lockers or do you convert the electric to cable if so how

[quote author=folsom50 link=board=1;threadid=9789;start=msg86726#msg86726 date=1073560881]
Kurt, where do you get an oem electric for a fj40 and what do they run pricewise?
[/quote]

There was ane extensive post on here a few weeks back from "ferg"... he sourced his through an online used parts locator.. paid around $400 each. BUT you must have a FF rear axle to use the OEM E-Locker or the OEM cable locker or the OEM E-locker that has been converted to Cable Locker.... :D

But they would still make a great front option, you have to get a midified inner shaft $100+ so you are right back in the range of an ARB, but you get fine-spline gears out of the deal... :D

[quote author=kling-on link=board=1;threadid=9789;start=msg86802#msg86802 date=1073575364]
were do you find cable lockers or do you convert the electric to cable if so how
[/quote]

OEM cable lockers are available through import to the US, the PO of Cruiser Outfitters has them on his FJ45 and a few of our customers are running them too. We had Six States (driveline/pto/cable shop) make custom cables to engage them.

Also, Downey sells a cable conversion kit for the OEM E-Lockers, I have never had firsthand experience with one of those (wish I had).. so someone needs to chime in there... :D

I would like to set up lockers in my 74 fj40 sometime in the future... Cost of course is a limitation. Ive been looking at many options including the aussie locker that has a review on pirate 4x4. What are everyones opinion on the options out there with some sort of idea on what these options cost.

Maybe it's time for me to do a write-up and submit it for addition to the tech section... Anyway, my electric locker conversion for my FJ60 was right around $1800 total (which included a full float rear axle assembly, two complete e-locking diffs, two new shafts, front and rear rebuild kits and other various seals, nuts and bolts, gaskets, etc needed. Officially the cost is up near what ARBs would cost you (including install)...but I liked the couple of extra features I received: full float rear end and lower gears (from 3.70 to 4.10). Try getting gears, SELECTABLE lockers and a FF rear any other way and you'll be spending WAY more money than $1800. Also, most of my "big" parts were purchased used, so if you went with brand new, it would cost you atleast double what I paid. The only other part that really sucked was trying to be patient while lookin' for deals and waitin' for them to arrive once ordered.

-Ferg-
(On my way to start into the write-up....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom