Determining cost per mile/km when driving your truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is most important aspect when using the truck for a business. What is the actual cost of of driving your truck "mine is a BJ60" when factors such as Tires, shocks, fluid changes, wear and tear and replacement and fuel cost is calculated plus..a few cents for replacement cost of the vehicle?

For those that own a business and you travel from site to site, do you bill road hourly rates on top of the truck time? Taxi drivers, truck drivers, and anyone I know who drives for a living do. If you are a carpenter, plumber, electrician or any artisan and own your own business, do you charge road time at your normal labor rate going to a site?

The reembursement rate offered by the US government ($XX.00/mile) for personal vehicle includes fuel, and wear and tear. Can't remember actual rate. Some , not all companies pay workers drive time.

The Royal Automobile Club of Australia calculate the cost of running a vehicle here at approx 4 times the cost of fuel spent. Seems a lot but they take into account vehicle depreciation and that at sometime it will have a catastrophic failure such as a transmission/injection pump etc and use mechanic rates to fix it.
They also use average workshop rates for all servicing and include licensing ,insurance etc. If you were in a rural area ,you might also include 1 windscreen a year from rock damage. Its all up to you based on the conditions and experience.

In regards to hourly rates ,you need to decide on a charge out rate or loaded charge out rate. "Loaded" means profit on top of the basic cost of employing yourself or someone else. Depends on how much you love the customer

You could probably find out more on books on basic accounting and book keeping on how to calculate vehicle and labour costs.

The Royal Automobile Club of Australia calculate the cost of running a vehicle here at approx 4 times the cost of fuel spent. Seems a lot but they take into account vehicle depreciation and that at sometime it will have a catastrophic failure such as a transmission/injection pump etc and use mechanic rates to fix it.
They also use average workshop rates for all servicing and include licensing ,insurance etc. If you were in a rural area ,you might also include 1 windscreen a year from rock damage. Its all up to you based on the conditions and experience.

In regards to hourly rates ,you need to decide on a charge out rate or loaded charge out rate. "Loaded" means profit on top of the basic cost of employing yourself or someone else. Depends on how much you love the customer

You could probably find out more on books on basic accounting and book keeping on how to calculate vehicle and labour costs.
Knowing the actual cost per mile would be fairly depressing.

I use the reimbursement rates offered by the Cdn government to calculate travel costs when bidding on a job. It's always higher than the actual cost per km I calculate with my year-end business accounting. I charge half my on-site rate for travel time. My 'clock' starts when I leave for the job and stops when the job is done on-site.

If it's of any value to you ( I live in Europe) ....I've kept track of the cost of my HZJ73 starting in April in 2002 and over a distance of 190.000 kms.
I bought the rig in 1996 when it was almost 1 year old. In total I've covered over 300.000 kms.
I do all the maintenance myself, except the annual safety inspections that have to be carried out by a licensed inspector.
During these years (2002 untill today) and 190000 kms I've spend 22.234 EURO on parts (springs, shocks, bearings, brakepads, timingbelts, injectors etc) coolant fluid, engine oil, gearbox, transfer and diff oil, tyres, annual inspections, and some repair costs due to damage.
I used 23634 liters of fuel resulting in a price tag of 23980 Euro. Had I driven all my kms in western Europe, the pricetag for the fuel would have been higher, but I've bought quite some fuel in countries like Tunesia, Morocco, Russia, Ukraine and Kasachstan and fuel over there is far less expensive then here, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost over here.
All this results in a total price tag of over 46000 Euro !!!!! resulting in 0,24 euro per km.

Note: Not taken into account is the amount of roadtax we have to pay as well as costs of insurance.
At the moment I have to pay 147 Euro a month (!) due to road taxes and 592 Euro each year for insurance.

Last edited:
Cool .......
I was always afraid that if I kept receipts, the wife would find them. I've been telling her for years that my Cruisers are maintenance free and get 50 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom