Detect water pump leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If there was a slight leak at the pump, would be at the back, passenger-side of the engine?

I see some water puddling (very slow drip) under this LX I am checking out..

TIA

The water pump is on the front of the engine, directly behind the fan clutch. The WP is connected to the timing belt, and sits very far back in the scheme of accessories on the motor. It may be the air conditioning, it drips right underneath the passenger seat on the frame rails. How many miles are on the LX? Has the 90K or 180K been done?

It has 90k miles on it and no the 90k has not been done.. hoping to have dealer split cost if I purchase the rig.

May be A/C I guess, but it wasn't turned on at all.. I supose the pump does run regardless.

It is water, no colant present.

Antifreeze has a sweet taste and Toyota put in a red die. If you tasted by put a tinny drip on your finger, make sure you do not swallow and rinse your mouth or it will shut down you kidneys'.

Thier's a weep hole in the housing under and behind the harmonic balancer (lower pulley) if you find moisture their when all else is dry you have a leak. Also if you need to add antifreeze on a regular basis this is a clue that may indicate a leaky water pump.

Note: if you can't get to the weep hole, then take off the skid plate and you'll see it.

It has 90k miles on it and no the 90k has not been done.. hoping to have dealer split cost if I purchase the rig.

May be A/C I guess, but it wasn't turned on at all.. I supose the pump does run regardless.

It is water, no colant present.

A/C clutch only engages on demand. Demand occurs when the AC button is illuminated or when in either defrost mode. In the case of the latter, the button won't illuminate if the AC wasn't on already.

PS rear of engine is the AC condenser drain.

my LC has had a water pump weep since 55,000 kms.
It's at 170,000 kms now.

It was found by a 4WD servicing company that i used after many unsatisfactory Toyota servicing of the beast.
just FYI i leased my LC via my salary package where i worked and the lease was through CustomFleet, salary sacrifice and all that.
Australians will know what that means.

The terms of the lease was that i had to do 100,000kms over four years (25k kms per year) and CustomFleet paid for all fuel and servicing.

I was always going to pay out the residual lease amount and own it, and i did. I owned it outright in 2009. All mine. Me as the only owner.

The issue is that Toyota Australia servicing look at CustomFleet leased cars as something they can make money on.
I continually stressed that my LC was not a typical lease where it just gets moved on and that i was going to own it at the end of the lease.
I have another story where i took the LC to another dealer, Melbournes biggest dealer, and they didn't even service it, yet charged the leasing co anyway.
I can go on but i won't.

But yet, i had weeping water pump, detected by my 4WD place from 55,000kms and Toyota, the experts apparently didnt see.

They must have employed blind mechanics cos the fluid is pink against a black background.

So a trusted dealer and/or mechanic is paramount in servicing our fave trucks.
Mine is for sale, due to unemployment, and it's going to go. But these things happen, and hopefully i'll get another one if things work out.
cheers
peter

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom