Desmogged Timing Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyvp

SILVER Star
Threads
My truck is desmogged, however my distributer is NOT recurved.
What do you get out of your distributer being recurved?
I purchased the spring kit todo it myself, is it sufficient to install that?

I have never heard it ping, does plenty of rattling and stuttering though.

Mine would rattle off idle without the non recurved distributor.

Same/same. That isn't a noise or feeling that a properly set up 2F should have.

@dannyvp, quick ?. does that rattle occur under throttle? if so, that's the ping that @OSS mentioned. it's preignition caused by way advanced timing or hot spots in the carbon build up within the combustion chamber. in this case i'd bet on timing. a visual for you,,, imagine beating on the piston with twelve lb sledge hammer before tdc. the flame front of ignition in this case is the sledge.
yes, the damage can be very similar and epic.

@dannyvp, quick ?. does that rattle occur under throttle? if so, that's the ping that @OSS mentioned. it's preignition caused by way advanced timing or hot spots in the carbon build up within the combustion chamber. in this case i'd bet on timing. a visual for you,,, imagine beating on the piston with twelve lb sledge hammer before tdc. the flame front of ignition in this case is the sledge.
yes, the damage can be very similar and epic.

i don’t think I hear anything that sounds bad. When I say rattling I mean like an old engine.

The advance curve advances too quickly for a desmogged 60. As far as doing it yourself, you are a brave man. You may not be able to hear it ping, but that shutter is wasting your fuel to destroy your pistons. Good luck, but I'd just send it out to the Cruiser Whisperer. I'm in the same boat right now.

The advance curve advances too quickly for a desmogged 60. As far as doing it yourself, you are a brave man. You may not be able to hear it ping, but that shutter is wasting your fuel to destroy your pistons. Good luck, but I'd just send it out to the Cruiser Whisperer. I'm in the same boat right now.

the shutter I believe is carb tuning. I ask the question about timing bc I can’t seem to get the carb tuning just right.....so I wondered if maybe it was the timing hurting me from getting it right.

I'm not the right guy to ask. But if your timing is not right, you will not be able to tune your carb. And Visa versa!! But I'd start with timing.

Old engines don’t rattle by nature. They rattle by tune being off.

You’ve already told us enough, recurve the distributor and set the carb...otherwise the combination isn’t right.

I’ve run this exact combo, you’ll be Detonating off idle and that’s not good. You will break something on a bad tank of fuel.

Old engines don’t rattle by nature. They rattle by tune being off.

You’ve already told us enough, recurve the distributor and set the carb...otherwise the combination isn’t right.

I’ve run this exact combo, you’ll be Detonating off idle and that’s not good. You will break something on a bad tank of fuel.
Yes, you need to start with good gas.

Yes, you need to start with good gas.

I agree. 93 may cover it as a bandaid for now. I run 89 with 11* initial, and the large inner pod with no knock. It will knock on 87.

I've run up to 14* initial on 93, but it gets picky tank to tank and will audibly knock if I get a bad poorly blended mix. It really liked the non ethanol 93 on 14*.

Good advice @HemiAlex , details and your own judgement. Please share your experiences. I appreciate your endeavors. You are on the right track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom