Desmog without retaining HAC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to begin a desmog on my '84 FJ60. I am planning to follow the plan set out in "How To Desmog an FJ60" (https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=517068&d=1304299989).

However, I don't plan to keep the HAC because I live at sea level and this cruiser won't be going above a few hundred feet in elevation. Also my HAC valve is bad and I don't want to replace it.

My question is, can I just cap the ports on the carb that would otherwise connect to the HAC or do any of them need to vent to atmosphere?

Thanks.

A big part of the fun hell of owning a FJ60 is fixing stuff.
All the information relevant to disconnecting the HAC properly is contained in the emissions manual. Takes a bit of figuring out.. but the answer is in there, though not referenced directly.

If you get really stumped (and just not lazy) repost back here, and someone will probably jump in to help.

A big part of the fun hell of owning a FJ60 is fixing stuff.
All the information relevant to disconnecting the HAC properly is contained in the emissions manual. Takes a bit of figuring out.. but the answer is in there, though not referenced directly.

If you get really stumped (and just not lazy) repost back here, and someone will probably jump in to help.
Thanks. I have 3 FJ60's and 15 years working on them so I agree about the fun part. Just thought maybe someone could save me a little time. I will figure it out.

Chris, I just desmogged my 60 following that guide and chose not to retain the HAC. I put plugs on the ports referenced in the document for the HAC and my rig is running very nicely!

Thanks Ray - I appreciate it. I got a little sidetracked with hunting season but I will get started on this soon. Need to go to one of the auto parts stores and pick up some vacuum fitting caps but I think I have everything else now.

Cool, let me know if you have any other questions, this is fresh in my mind. I am so happy with the results...my truck can actually accelerate up hill now!

I sent my carb to Jim C a while back so I was planning to try and have everything else done before it gets back. I have not sent the distributor to him yet. I was going to wait and see how it runs first. Did you have your re-curved?

Nope, stock dizzy. No problems. My plan, if I experienced pre-ignition, was to fiddle with the primary advance/timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom