Desmog turned into EFI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Half way through desmog I realized many of the components will be reused and I didn't want to deal with those antique parts anymore . So I decided to go ahead and buy the Sniper kit from Camron.

I’m sure I’m going to have some upcoming questions so I figured I’d start a thread .

4422AB37-2DD5-40FF-861A-E05575EA8C5A.jpeg

218DA815-54C8-41D0-92F4-0F80CAF4FD1C.jpeg

4960D4C2-832A-4E51-95B3-6E1744AE7C2B.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks better already, that’s for sure.

You could probably recoup a chunk of the Sniper cost selling off the contents of that blue bin.

Looks better already, that’s for sure.

You could probably recoup a chunk of the Sniper cost selling off the contents of that blue bin.

For sure it does look better already . When I bought it my eyes glazed over with the hood up just looking at all those vacuum hoses and crazy parts . I can’t say I’m sad to see them go.
I’ve been torn because I really wanted to keep it as stock as possible . However I’m hoping it will be more user friendly and more reliable once I’m done.
As far as selling the parts I removed I’m also torn because on one hand like you said I could probably recoup money . On the other hand it may make it more valuable if I ever decide to part ways with the beast and all the original parts come with it .

@FlyingPlumr I am looking at the desmog as well but I too am torn with keeping stock. It really looks like the desmog and efi are a great option. When you did your desmog was there a good set of directions that you followed? I have looked at many desmog threads and never found a step by step. I did see a picture of the different vacuum lines that needed to be removed but was wondering if there was a better resource for a beginner mechanic.

I'm about to start my desmog and that first picture looks AMAZING. I can't wait to get all that crap out of my engine bay.

I am looking at the desmog as well but I too am torn with keeping stock...

In a way, I kind of view desmogging as truly keeping it stock. Since to my knowledge, the smog system was added to the long-used 2F to allow it to meet the modern (at the time) emissions requirements.

@FlyingPlumr I am looking at the desmog as well but I too am torn with keeping stock. It really looks like the desmog and efi are a great option. When you did your desmog was there a good set of directions that you followed? I have looked at many desmog threads and never found a step by step. I did see a picture of the different vacuum lines that needed to be removed but was wondering if there was a better resource for a beginner mechanic.

I found a step by step desmog, but it was very complicated. I found it here on search, will see if i can find & link. It was 24 or so pages printed. I went forward with the knowledge that none of the OEM stiff was staying, and with help from @wngrog (who had his desmogged 60 there for reference) it went quite swimmingly.

the only issue we ran into was the air rail compression nuts. Couple fo them were stuck and basically twisted the tube on the rail until it broke. Wasn’t worried about that.......

Yes. Currently have a DUI on order, but it’s not looking like it will be here before mid December. out of stock and manufacturer is behind. Like so many other parts i am waiting on.

You're rig looks so much better all cleaned out of the spaghetti as doe mine. They are starting to look like twins !

Why did you decide to go ahead and switch to the DUI ??

You're rig looks so much better all cleaned out of the spaghetti as doe mine. They are starting to look like twins !

Why did you decide to go ahead and switch to the DUI ??
Better spark performance i guess. Works better with sniper. I actually toyed with the hyper spark to see if it would work. Full ignition control. I added that aLiL to my fj40 w/350. Worked well. The timing control is great.

For sure it does look better already . When I bought it my eyes glazed over with the hood up just looking at all those vacuum hoses and crazy parts . I can’t say I’m sad to see them go.
I’ve been torn because I really wanted to keep it as stock as possible . However I’m hoping it will be more user friendly and more reliable once I’m done.
As far as selling the parts I removed I’m also torn because on one hand like you said I could probably recoup money . On the other hand it may make it more valuable if I ever decide to part ways with the beast and all the original parts come with it .

as you know, whatever you do, don't throw that smog stuff away.
Looks good

as you know, whatever you do, don't throw that smog stuff away.
Looks good

I hear ya I'm not throwing one nut or bolt away. I don't have enough ambition to catalog and package each piece yet but maybe this winter when shes back up and rolling I'll do that.

Where are you folks installing the Sniper temp sender? I had planned to put it in the stock location and move the stock unit to the thermostat housing in place of one of the BVSV valves, but...no compatibility. I know that some have installed the Sniper temp sensor in the thermo housing...how's that working?

Last edited:
Where are you folks installing the Sniper temp sender? I had planned to put it in the stock location and move the stock unit to the thermostat housing in place of one of the BVSV valves, but...no compatibility. I know that some have installed the Sniper temp sensor in the thermo housing...how's that working?

I installed mine on the drivers side mid block there is a drain plug there that I removed . I thought that near the thermostat it would have more temperature fluctuations. However I’m about 3/4 through the install so I’ve yet to run it .

I'm almost to the vacuum part of the project and from what I see I have to hook the Master cylinder, PCV and Advance back up. Ami I missing anything ?

This hose goes from near the master cylinder behind the heat shroud and connects to the charcoal canister . Is it eliminated ?

FD8F7E81-7824-4C79-AE69-F65B2E8C592D.jpeg

I'm almost to the vacuum part of the project and from what I see I have to hook the Master cylinder, PCV and Advance back up. Ami I missing anything ?

This hose goes from near the master cylinder behind the heat shroud and connects to the charcoal canister . Is it eliminated ?

View attachment 2492973
You won't need it, but you can use it for PCV. I tee'd the canister purge to PVC, then to weak vacuum on the breather, but there is room for creativity here. You just want those on vacuum but as long as they don't stink you are fine. I wouldn't want them to interfere with the brake booster or advance so I kept them separate. Probably wouldn't make any difference anyhow.

I installed mine on the drivers side mid block there is a drain plug there that I removed . I thought that near the thermostat it would have more temperature fluctuations. However I’m about 3/4 through the install so I’ve yet to run it .
Unfortunately, when I removed the drain valve, the last 3 or 4 threads worth remained fused in the block. Not the most accessable place to work, so now it's plugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom