desmog require recurve?

An old timer at an engine shop suggest I do this as well. He recommended a local shop which was nice. Haven't done it yet 'cause I'm waiting on a new carb.

chupacabra
I can't find the answer, though I know it's probably been covered...

If I desmog, why recurve the disty?

Thanks,
Skip

A de-smogged engine doesn't like to be advanced as quickly as a stock one. You may get a little pinging on hard acceleration without the re-curve. Running a higher grade of gas or retartding your base timing a little will help until you can get the dizzy recurved.

recurve?

What the heck does that mean?

an 84 fj60 with a 32/36 weber-I'm planning on removing all of the smog equip and running the airpump uncorked and spinnning free.

do i still need the recurve?

If I take it to my mechanic, what should the timing the be?

The thing runs ok now, I have the vacum of the disty hooked to carb, should I use the one closest to disty or farthest?

Last edited:
Website
www.lubedealer.com
my desmog did not require recurve....I did not get high pinging just a higher RPM when driving....so swapped the vacuum advance to the outer port and all is good.

better but not required....and depending on your dizzy I think.

Jim C doing mine also. If you want to run the HAC you really should. There is way to much advance in the smogger timing.

HAC is High Altitude Compensation. A recurve is not a requirement, but it sure does help. The second spring on the Cruiser's distributor is so stiff it simply won't allow it to advance beyond a certain point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom