Desmog cost and how do I do it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i dont have a ton of knowledge with the smog system in the fj60. my smog pump recently seized up due to leaking power steering fluid. I called TorFab and they said it would be a little over a thousand dollars to desmog it because its mainly time. would anyone know what all i need to do it? could i do it myself? would any cruiser junkies in the snohomish county area be willing to teach me how? my cruiser is rendered useless right now. thanks guys

I used that guide and was able to do it in a weekend with no prior knowledge. Just keep reading it until it makes sense. Get all parts beforehand.

The biggest PITA is removing and re-installing the manifold. Go ahead and get two manifold gaskets in case you have to double them up. Ideally you would have it machined flat, but mine is a DD so not an option unless I take some time off work and steal the wife's car for a bit. The felpro gaskets are cheap at Rock Auto.

By the end of the job you will know what all the vac lines do. I think its worth the effort just for the knowledge I gained.

I used that guide and was able to do it in a weekend with no prior knowledge. Just keep reading it until it makes sense. Get all parts beforehand.

The biggest PITA is removing and re-installing the manifold. Go ahead and get two manifold gaskets in case you have to double them up. Ideally you would have it machined flat, but mine is a DD so not an option unless I take some time off work and steal the wife's car for a bit. The felpro gaskets are cheap at Rock Auto.

By the end of the job you will know what all the vac lines do. I think its worth the effort just for the knowledge I gained.
do you know what the overall cost was? im in a bit of a crunch here :(

@Lou the fj60 if you're dead in the water and just want to get running again you could always attempt to gut your existing pump, might be as simple as a vane that is jammed. Though leaky PS pump leads me to think that you've got a lot more that is wrong with it... Gutting might be a first quick option - pulling the belt off and the pump out takes no time at all and it shouldn't be too bad to get the pump apart. Might be worth taking an hour (or a lot less) to check out.

Other option to get you back running is a smog pump replacer that several places sell. That is just a bolt in deal. I think they cost a couple hundred.

X2 on gutting and reusing your smog pump as a cheap route to go.

I did the desmog on mine. I did not remove the manifold. I just followed the instructions. It's not expensive, block off plate, air-rail hole plugs, vacuum hose. Yes, you should recurve your dizzy, and you can redo your carb to run better when desmoged. But I ran mine w/out making those two mods for nearly a year.

Previous owner bought the pulley to replace the pump. Got some vac line from Amazon $20. Flat bar to make an egr plate $5. Bar stock to insert in air rail fittings and weld shut $5-10. $20 for manifold gasket. $10 for exhaust down pipe and cat gaskets. Another $20 for second manifold gasket. Maybe another $20 for stuff I can't remember.

That's $105. Requires a welder and add the cost of the pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom