Designing a replacement speaker cover, what do you think so far? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided I wanted to try designing a customizable speaker cover for my 80. Here's what I've got so far. Have a few more things to tweak and adjust the alignment as well as finish the design on the little clippy things that hold it to the door panel, but i think i'm getting pretty close to 3d printing a first draft and seeing how it looks.

Any thoughts or change suggestions?

upload_2017-1-26_23-18-56.png

I think you should incorporate the early FJ40 bezel look into it. Like a version with all very thin bars except the bezel bars and LAND CRUISER moves to where TOYOTA is now, and ignore the rest of the text. You could even design it to have the headlight holes since it's in the center of the circle. Eh, who knows. The bars might be a little wide and sound-blocking at the current size.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Would it be difficult to run a different design on it. I like the idea but wouldnt be practical in my 80 I only have speakers in the rear door and I have an FJ80 but something like this would also be nice in my wifes 60 that has speakers installed in the tailgate which one is already broken but a cover would have prevented that from happening.

I don't have an 80, but I think thin bars would look better.
Yeah, after trying it on a few I think I agree. Thinner bars, i also thing I'm going to follow john's suggestion and drop some of the text in favor of just 'LAND CRUISER'. More pics to come when get v2 done.

Would it be difficult to run a different design on it. I like the idea but wouldnt be practical in my 80 I only have speakers in the rear door and I have an FJ80 but something like this would also be nice in my wifes 60 that has speakers installed in the tailgate which one is already broken but a cover would have prevented that from happening.

I'm making the design modular. The "decorative" center cover part will be fit onto the outer mounting ring. That'll let me make new covers as I feel like it and snap them right into the existing assembly.

I'm not sure what size covers the 60 has. I could probably find out. If it's as easy as scaling it up/down to fit, it would be a pretty easy transition for them to work on 60s. However, if the mounting clips are different, that would take a redesign of that specific part.

Yeah, after trying it on a few I think I agree. Thinner bars, i also thing I'm going to follow john's suggestion and drop some of the text in favor of just 'LAND CRUISER'. More pics to come when get v2 done.

I'm making the design modular. The "decorative" center cover part will be fit onto the outer mounting ring. That'll let me make new covers as I feel like it and snap them right into the existing assembly.

I'm not sure what size covers the 60 has. I could probably find out. If it's as easy as scaling it up/down to fit, it would be a pretty easy transition for them to work on 60s. However, if the mounting clips are different, that would take a redesign of that specific part.

The speakers in the 60 aren't stock Im not sure what size they are I really like the idea and am excited to see the final product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom