Designating the weak link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star
Threads
After reading the article in TT : Engineering the week link. What would fellow mudders consider the weak link for this set-up: Cummins 4BT-NV4500HD-Splitcase-Stock modifed length drive shafts-Fine spline R&P-stock rear axle shafts-30 spline longs-stock for '81 hubs.
To me the preferable location for failure would be in the drive shafts; as this would seem like the easiest trail fix.
Your thoughts and considerations would be appreciated.

Yup. Ujoints are probably the easiest to swap out on the trail when compared to birfields or wheel studs.

But in this case you're probably looking at a blown pinion or a busted rear axle shaft. Toyota u-joints rarely fail from overloading. Most of the time they fail from lack of lube or from being bound up.

Nick

rear shafts are the Achilles heel

I say make everything as bullet proof as possible, aka, pig rear 4340 shafts or full floater

When things break they put a huge shock load on other components

Last edited:
Rear axle shafts....

What is the configuration of the vehicle, and what is the intended use?

Tire size? Suspension? etc...

zebrabeefj40 said:
But in this case you're probably looking at a blown pinion or a busted rear axle shaft. Toyota u-joints rarely fail from overloading. Most of the time they fail from lack of lube or from being bound up.

Nick

Yup. Pinion or axleshafts. I give the 'edge' to the axleshafts, especially with a larger size tire.:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom