Desert to the Pines 2019 - Area "A" to Strawberry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool until Momma 🐻 shows up! I had one eye on the camera and one eye watching out. Luckily as soon as the cub saw me it hightailed it and never came back. Last thing I need is to get between a cub & Momma. I was on high alert the rest of the day until I left for home.
I have also been quite close to bears, I agree, they move WAY faster than people would imagine!

Yeah I would have been on high alert too!

Last year when I was turkey hunting in the white mountains we were driving on the backdirt roads to camp where we spotted two baby cubs right off the road. They couldn't have been bigger then a small dog and were about 5 feet away from the road. We got close to them and they started going right up the hill to where Mama Bear was cautiously watching. Was really cool to see. Makes me wish I had a good camera on me but here's a pic I was able to snap quickly. You can see the little guy going up the hill and his brother on the right.

We saw 4 bears that trip! :oops:

2rqotja.jpg

A camera that gets the shot is 10,000x better than a camera you didn't have along. Here's the bear I saw ... then didn't see.

IMG_4602cecr.jpg
IMG_4603cr.jpg

Last edited:
Don't see bear very often but last summer had one roaming our subdivision. Summer before neighbor said we had one just outside our cabin. Deer and elk are around all the time. This morning our guard Chihuahuas scared away a couple deer feeding. Chihuahuas are inside a fence but deer decided the noise was not to their liking and slowly moved on.

Nice write up! I attempted to drive FR300 early this past Saturday morning only to be turned back by Rangers. Long drive to be turned back. It it already re-opened according to FS. Next time I guess

While didn't effect us heard how in the morning a pilot car was used because smoke was so heavy in the mornings. Someone in the area was the second car in line and couldn't see the tail lights of the pilot car. Smoke in the area is much better than last week. Forest Service decided to let this lightening fire burn to benefit the C C Cragin (Blue Ridge) Resevoir watershed. Little over week ago at a information meetimg we were given a phone number to call on update on the fire. If you look on inciweb and click on Coldwater fire it lists the the Ranger Station phone as well which would give you any road closures. When drove by Monday a ranger was parked at the 300 road. I would be sure and call before coming over, just got a email from the Forest Service saying road closures were still in effect until further notice.

I once watched a bear run 100 yards up a large flowing creek... the chest deep water did not slow her down. Had she been headed my direction, I honestly doubt I could have made it from the back of my car to the driver door in the time she splashed through all that water. I've seen bear loping along, running across fields in Yellowstone and Yosemite, this bear in Glacier was incredible by comparison.

A not so funny part of the story - there were people with cameras out of their cars standing on the passenger/water side, within 20 yards. When whatever it was that spooked the bear happened (some noise I didn't hear up in the opposite side brush) - those closest to her panicked - and it reminded me of the two guys chatting while a bear was raiding their camp.

John: We gotta go, no time for shoes, and you can't outrun a bear.
Joe: I don't have to outrun the bear.

The running joke for geologists who work in grizzly country is to make sure your field assistant can't run as fast as you can or has a trick knee.

The running joke for geologists who work in grizzly country is to make sure your field assistant can't run as fast as you can or has a trick knee.

Was a old ad posted on Mud somewhere years ago. It was about a gun makers little 25 auto and home it saved someone's life from a grizzly attack. He shot his partner in the knee with and just walked away at a brisk pace. Second two of the Walking Dead Shane shot the guy he was with to get away from walkers. They were medical supplies to save Karl's life. Guy had had shot Karl by mistake so maybe it was fair. :hmm:

My 86 year old neighbor use to pack a small auto in a fanny pack. He is now carrying a larger auto in a hositer. Not sure who to be the most afraid if a 🐻 shows up, the 🐻 or my neighbor.

Was a old ad posted on Mud somewhere years ago. It was about a gun makers little 25 auto and home it saved someone's life from a grizzly attack. He shot his partner in the knee with and just walked away at a brisk pace. Second two of the Walking Dead Shane shot the guy he was with to get away from walkers. They were medical supplies to save Karl's life. Guy had had shot Karl by mistake so maybe it was fair. :hmm:

My 86 year old neighbor use to pack a small auto in a fanny pack. He is now carrying a larger auto in a hositer. Not sure who to be the most afraid if a 🐻 shows up, the 🐻 or my neighbor.

:eek:

Don't see bear very often but last summer had one roaming our subdivision. Summer before neighbor said we had one just outside our cabin. Deer and elk are around all the time. This morning our guard Chihuahuas scared away a couple deer feeding. Chihuahuas are inside a fence but deer decided the noise was not to their liking and slowly moved on.

While didn't effect us heard how in the morning a pilot car was used because smoke was so heavy in the mornings. Someone in the area was the second car in line and couldn't see the tail lights of the pilot car. Smoke in the area is much better than last week. Forest Service decided to let this lightening fire burn to benefit the C C Cragin (Blue Ridge) Resevoir watershed. Little over week ago at a information meetimg we were given a phone number to call on update on the fire. If you look on inciweb and click on Coldwater fire it lists the the Ranger Station phone as well which would give you any road closures. When drove by Monday a ranger was parked at the 300 road. I would be sure and call before coming over, just got a email from the Forest Service saying road closures were still in effect until further notice.
Thanks John. Will make sure to call.

I personally like having a shotgun with me when camping in the backcountry. And close by as well.

The bear in that picture looks like he is eating real well!

I love your picto-traveloges Red Steve . a joy to follow along and see what you see

:cheers:

I love your picto-traveloges Red Steve . a joy to follow along and see what you see

:cheers:
HTH!

I sometimes need inspiration to get out & about - hopefully I can pass some along :steer:🚘

Also if anyone needs info about the Coconino National Forest please just ask me. I work here.

Right now FSR300 , FSR141 are open to traffic. But the burn area is closed down. Can not go inside of it because a bunch of Stump holes are still burning.

Not much smoke left up here.

If you come up this next weekend I will be at the Reservoir all weekend talking and directing folks. Stop by.

If you come up this next weekend I will be at the Reservoir all weekend talking and directing folks. Stop by.

What reason for being reservoir next weekend? Was there last weekend and didn't see any Forest Service personal around. Where will you be, boat ramp? Did head over to the Doppler radar station then down 138 back to 87. Driving a stock low rider 4th gen 4runner at least makes it a little more interesting in a area of pretty tame legal trails

Bears were aplenty, the skulls at the bottom give you pause , Kodiac and Polar are the same skull size.
FB937A5F-39DD-485C-B816-C5E83699AF73.jpeg
FC713FED-5BA1-4EC6-94E7-4C3425FD4F1A.jpeg

That is one large Kodiak.

[edit] There was a recent story (true or false I can't say) of a ranger who was eaten by a large bear, don't recall it was a Kodiak. But it stood some 13 feet on its hind legs, and could reach onto roof tops. Ranger tried to shoot it, emptied a clip of 9 mm. Didn't work out so well. Photos accompanying the article explained the likely origin of the phrase "grizzly scene" ... but research to find a link has turned up it was probably a hoax made of two separate incidents.

I did find this clip: Great White hunters in my family. This was a rare blond Toklat Grizzy, 7 foot 550 lb, now endangered because of the wanton killings. No, I am not proud of what they did, but the war ravaged 40's were a different time.

ps: reread the paper clip: bear was just over seven feet, shot near Denali.

Last edited:
Lets not bust on hunters! That stuff under plastic at the grocery store is meat! As long as it was a legally taken bear, no harm no foul. I guess liberals want us to believe hunting is cruel. Fine looking bear there! None of us need or should apologize for anything. Thanks for posting up the pic though. Makes our Arizona black bears look puny! I guy I worked with at Ruger though took a 400lb Black Bear bowhunting near Sycamore Canyon about three years ago. That was quite a specimen. Back East a big black bear was 200 pounds. Diet? Sun exposure, mild winters, too many variables to speculate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom