Desert racing needs and wants!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hawkerracecars.com
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a FJ80 that will be used as a chase/transportation vehicle for desert racing in the southwest. First of all, I was wondering the differences in the model years, and which would be best for my application. I need it to look presentable, because it will be representing my company. Lastly, I need some options to do to it after I buy it, to make it even more desert racing friendly! Any and all help/replies would be fantastic! And if I can answer any racing questions, let me know! Thanks.
Pete

You lost me after the racing part...

PMAZ7 said:
Ok, I'll check with someone other than you then...

Check with the FAQ section, and look at the newbie guide here:

www.sleeoffroad.com

If you have more questions after that, try using the forum's search function. If you have more questions after that, just ask.

Good luck and welcome.

Pete, years ago there was a guy in LA (Nicholas Le I think) that did the Baja with his. This was in the days of the 80 series email list that was hosted on the SGi servers by George. He gutted the inside, put long travel shock on it etc etc. I am not sure if I can even dig up the pictures.

sleeoffroad said:
Pete, years ago there was a guy in LA (Nicholas Le I think) that did the Baja with his. This was in the days of the 80 series email list that was hosted on the SGi servers by George. He gutted the inside, put long travel shock on it etc etc. I am not sure if I can even dig up the pictures.

Pictures would be great, just to see it! But let me clarify my post. I need the Cruiser for chase work. After getting back from the Vegas to Reno race yesterday I realize that I need something with good ground clearance, decent power, and with me being rather large, good room. It needs to be able to tackle silt, rocks, climbs, washes, etc... A useful (not for show) lift and suspension and a model year that has a bunch of the good stuff already on it! Who know, I could always run in a sportsman class if I do it up right! Thanks for all the info, keep it coming!

Slee 4" lift kit
35" MTRs or similar
Supercharger
Slee's soon to be released front bumper
Any rear bumper/tire carrier
Re-gear if you feel you need it to 4.88s
Remove rear seats and make a storage setup specific to your needs
African Outback roof rack
Lights as needed
Sliders of your choice
IPOR skid plate
York or Harbor Freight air-compressor
Anything else you think you'll need.

For a base setup Slee's 4" springs are a great starting point for a loaded utility vehicle that will be seeing some rough off-road situations Everything else will be need based and will be decide by what you think will be best.

Why not a set of Bilstein coilovers? Truss the axle housings, make custom shock mounts and run 35s or 37s.

Remember guys, this is a chase truck, not a Baja truck, it just has to follow and do well, not do well going the 100+ desert racers do (I think that's what he wants to do with this).

PMAZ7 said:
You're absolutely on the right track!

Well then, I don't need to change my first suggestion. The setup I listed would allow you to do practically anything you would encounter, haul all the gear you can fit safely and rather comfortably, and look very presentable depending on color choice ;)

And having access to fabricators you could design your own sliders, bumpers, roof rack, and skid plates if you don't like the choices avaliable or would rather sport your own creations.

Well, I know this is the 80-series tech but I'd say if I was in your place I'd get a 100-series. In fact, if the money was there I'd buy Christo's turbo'd 100 and have him outfit it with his goodies prior to pickup. It will handle 35" tires quite well and has all the "modern" comforts a 1997 or older 80-series just doesn't offer. It'll go faster and smoother and be more comfortable than an 80 on the pavement and the IFS front will actually be hard to beat on the desert tracks in Baja. Check out the different built-up 100-series on the forum and see what you think.

But if you're dead set on an 80, just follow everyone's advice above and go with the lowest mileage, best condition truck and you won't be disappointed. For your needs I'd say a supercharger or turbo are almost mandatory. You are pretty much limited to the TRD/Kazuma supercharger and Slee's turbo. Good luck.

93+, but personal opinion whether Lexus or LC and 93/94 or 95+. Do a search and you should be able to find those differences and be able to judge for yourself. Supercharger, I believe TRD is the only option. I have a '92, so a S/C isn't an option for me so I don't know too much about it other than a SC'd 80 has plenty of power and is a good starting point.

clownmidget said:
Well, I know this is the 80-series tech but I'd say if I was in your place I'd get a 100-series. In fact, if the money was there I'd buy Christo's turbo'd 100 and have him outfit it with his goodies prior to pickup. It will handle 35" tires quite well and has all the "modern" comforts a 1997 or older 80-series just doesn't offer. It'll go faster and smoother and be more comfortable than an 80 on the pavement and the IFS front will actually be hard to beat on the desert tracks in Baja. Check out the different built-up 100-series on the forum and see what you think.

But if you're dead set on an 80, just follow everyone's advice above and go with the lowest mileage, best condition truck and you won't be disappointed. For your needs I'd say a supercharger or turbo are almost mandatory. You are pretty much limited to the TRD/Kazuma supercharger and Slee's turbo. Good luck.

ok, being new to this forum, could you steer me towards Christo's 100? Is it for sale, or just a really great looking/prepared 100? If I can swing the $$$ for a 100 I would much rather. My little sister, who I allowed to live in my house for 5yrs., and paid ALL her bills, has an LX470 with every luxury option you could imagine. She works for Lexus though... Thanks for the help.

PMAZ7 said:
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a FJ80 that will be used as a chase/transportation vehicle for desert racing in the southwest. First of all, I was wondering the differences in the model years, and which would be best for my application. I need it to look presentable, because it will be representing my company. Lastly, I need some options to do to it after I buy it, to make it even more desert racing friendly! Any and all help/replies would be fantastic! And if I can answer any racing questions, let me know! Thanks.
Pete

Will you be chasing for SCORE or BITD? Chase rules are very different. If you chase in BITD you can get by with a stock 80.

LandCruiserPhil said:
Will you be chasing for SCORE or BITD? Chase rules are very different. If you chase in BITD you can get by with a stock 80.

What are you talking about "Chase Rules"? There are no chase rules in SCORE (not sure in BITD but i doubt it). If there were rules and spec requirements on Chase vechicles as well as the race cars, there would be quite a bit less racers out there!

Where did you get this info??

Hit me up with an email Peter, i chase with my 80 at the Score Races in Baja

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom