SOLD Denver: Front differential (or parts) for a 2006, 4.1 ratio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT -> ordered new diff from toyota. Very expensive but quickest option to get LX moving again.

Bad luck - front diff ate itself going down the highway. No real diagnosis why but have the sparkly oil of doom and some smallish chunks of metal, plus a constant wheel-speed related clicking noise and tight spot.

A new assembly from Toyota is around $1750, and I'll be calling the shop that did my eLocker shortly to see what their repair cost estimate is, but I'm not hopeful it'll be much less.

Anyone got spare parts for a 2006 100 series front diff lying around? Even if it's not the whole assembly, I'm going to need at least a ring and pinion and very possibly the front carrier as well.

Thanks!

PXL_20230228_004245739.jpg

PXL_20230228_002815197.jpg

PXL_20230228_001547094.jpg

Last edited:
Does your cruiser have an e-locker ( Eaton I would assume?! ) in the front?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Does your cruiser have an e-locker ( Eaton I would assume?! ) in the front?

Hi Georg - Completely stock front diff with right about 185k on it. No locker. I just had a rear eaton eLocker installed last weekend - that was scheduled a couple weeks ago and just happened to be the monday after my front diff started coming apart.

Since I'm on a heck of a time crunch here, I ended up ordering a whole new front diff from a local toyota dealer. They weren't thrilled with me owning a Lexus and not a toyota but eventually got it sorted out. It should be here late this week or early next week. I've got a business trip to California from m-f next week, then need the LX for a trip the following tuesday through friday, so I need to get this on the road again by next weekend.

The timing couldn't have been much worse =/

At least you have a solution …… and the highest quality replacement part you could possibly source.

Yep. The original lasted 185k, I'd expect the replacement to last similar/better. Still lots cheaper than a car payment!

Also, the R and R should be relatively straightforward as well. I appreciate you checking in.

I'm not sure I've heard of many people losing a relatively unabused front diff on a later 100 but sometimes you just lose the luck of the draw.

These typically don’t give much trouble. We have customers with over 300k miles on their stock diffs. One of them is at 465k miles ….

s*** happens sometimes 😔

New diff is in the trunk. I about to head back from Colorado springs and tomorrow will be diff replacement day. Glad the part got here because my wife needs this truck while I'm gone next week.

Fortunate I could just buy it and throw it in.

Might as well update here - I got unreasonably lucky when this failed...

PXL_20230303_215544044.jpg
PXL_20230303_220821875~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom