Denver Co Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2JG

Threads
Hoping for some suggestions on where I can explore some beautiful areas in CO and hopefully overland some. I'll be in Denver for a concert at Red Rock in Sept. and hoping to rent a SUV. If anyone knows a LC rental company...let me know, that would be almost as good as if I could bring mine. Thanks.

The area between Telluride, Ouray, and Silverton is beautiful. The trails are mostly easy fire roads with a few off camber areas and rocky obstacles. I just returned from a week of wheeling there. Happy to answer your questions.

Poughkeepsie Gulch has an obstacle call The Wall, pictured below. If dry, most any locked truck will walk right up it on a good line. Black Bear Pass has one off camber area that has rolled a few trucks, but it is not difficult at all. Very steep drops off though.

Mineral Creek, Yankee Boy, and Imogene are the other “difficult” trails. All are in walk in the park with tires aired down. I rarely engaged my rear locker. Engaged both lockers only at the Wall and just above it on more technical lines. We’ll worth exploring the area.

Never said “Wow” so many times while looking at the views. Amazing views on Corkscrew, Imogene, Hurricane, Mineral, and Engineer. Ophir is forested without many open views. Can’t go wrong up there though.

You can rent Jeeps in Ouray, Telluride and Silverton. They will limit the trails you can take. I’d stay away from Poughkeepsie and Black Bear in a rental. I’ve seen Subaru’s driving many of these trails, but I’d prefer lockers and a solid front axle just incase.

DD6A66C6-0B53-4813-8A7E-2D685EAE1287.png

80CD2DA3-3456-4D24-B67C-61B1574F137D.jpeg

50F571E9-C9BB-44BD-9B91-431C20FAE527.png

14E51739-11E3-4F29-AD7B-EE1E69A716D0.jpeg

FABF7D30-196B-4AEB-ABC5-A3D2C18FCC8F.jpeg

76F5C4A6-6D8D-4D09-811F-8CD8856B135E.jpeg

5F969669-C62E-400C-8EE8-0E740A55C2FC.jpeg

78F9AE87-20C7-4364-A580-4AC8AB4B3D7F.jpeg

Last edited:
The area between Telluride, Ouray, and Silverton is beautiful. The trails are mostly easy fire roads with a few off camber areas and rocky obstacles. I just returned from a week of wheeling there. Happy to answer your questions.

Poughkeepsie Gulch has an obstacle call The Wall, pictured below. If dry, most any locked truck will walk right up it on a good line. Black Bear Pass has one off camber area that has rolled a few trucks, but it is not difficult at all. Very steep drops off though.

Mineral Creek, Yankee Boy, and Imogene are the other “difficult” trails. All are in walk in the park with tires aired down. I rarely engaged my rear locker. Engaged both lockers only at the Wall and just above it on more technical lines. We’ll worth exploring the area.

Never said “Wow” so many times while looking at the views. Amazing views on Corkscrew, Imogene, Hurricane, Mineral, and Engineer. Ophir is forested without many open views. Can’t go wrong up there though.

You can rent Jeeps in Ouray, Telluride and Silverton. They will limit the trails you can take. I’d stay away from Poughkeepsie and Black Bear in a rental. I’ve seen Subaru’s driving many of these trails, but I’d prefer lockers and a solid front axle just incase.

View attachment 3094126

View attachment 3094127

View attachment 3094128

View attachment 3094132

View attachment 3094133

View attachment 3094134

View attachment 3094146

View attachment 3094148
Thanks...looks amazing! I appreciate the information.

View attachment 3094126

View attachment 3094127

View attachment 3094128

View attachment 3094132

View attachment 3094133

View attachment 3094134

View attachment 3094146

View attachment 3094148
this area is about 6 hours from Denver.

OP how long are you going to be in the Denver area?

Reactions: 2JG
About 4 days so I need trips pretty close.
I know of nobody that rents LC's around here. Best bet would be a SXS or a Jeep from Hertz.

Hey when will you be in Denver? I'm going to be there on Saturday and Sunday of this coming week (9/10-9/11).

I'm gonna be picking my family up from the airport on Saturday around 5PM so I'm gonna be solo for the day. If you decide you want to ride a trail, I'm driving up there in my 200, you are welcome to ride shotgun. Send me a DM if you are interested and free, no pressure.

The high in Saturday will only be 60 compared to the 97 degrees we will hit today.
The rising sun is doing our annual “rally” on the 10th if you want to swing by
EDCE5A6B-1B01-4A32-AA3A-CA7B73C8F816.jpeg

Sunday there will be a trail ride as well to Bill Moore Lake.
I'm on 33's, 2" lift and I literally have sliders installed on the very next day (Slee on Monday). I may pass, but how difficult of a trail is that?

Perspective: I've done BB and Imogene but don't want to do Pughkeepse Gulch just yet.

I'm on 33's, 2" lift and I literally have sliders installed on the very next day (Slee on Monday). I may pass, but how difficult of a trail is that?

Perspective: I've done BB and Imogene but don't want to do Pughkeepse Gulch just yet.
It's easy. Mostly dirt road. One section is washed out and it will flex your suspension, and that's really it.

It's easy. Mostly dirt road. One section is washed out and it will flex your suspension, and that's really it.
Excellent, thanks! I'll hopefully see you guys on Saturday and we'll discuss then. 2017 Black LC with a rooftop box on top and no running boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom