For Sale Denver, CO 1976 FJ40 unrestored survivor, full mechanical redo 100+ pics 7 year build + ownership thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

*****SOLD*****(

For sale is my 1976 FJ40.
49,400 miles.
Found it in a barn in Wyoming.
We drug it home to Colorado.
is my ~7 year build + ownership thread. It had 47k miles when I bought it in 2012
it has 49,400 now. Based on the shape of everything on this truck when I bought it, I'm 99% sure its 47k miles. The pictures will be in mostly chronological order starting with the day we found it in Wyoming in that barn in 2012. For context the build thread is better, but this is a cliff notes via pictures quickie version.

I spent the better part of 5 years rebuilding the mechanicals (full 2f engine to original spec w/ domed pistons, open chambered heads, full compliant emissions, everything touched was mechanically pure and then cosmetically refreshed (cad plated parts, powder coat, etc blah blah). If I touched it, it got redone both ways.

I passed smog with flying colors the first time 5 years ago when the re-power was done, and then again last week for collector plate renewal.

The body is untouched, original paint, little rust in the sill, but haven't replaced it because the truck is very very original and very clean. I have had one of awl_teq's rear sills sitting in my garage, but can't tear into this cosmetically, its only this original once.

The build thread on rising sun is above, 20 pages, full history. I can insert 5 pics at a time, so this will be 20 plus posts to get all the pics in here... I'll do that over a few days I suppose.

Price?
I had a sticker in the window at the RS rally for 35k.
I'd take 25k

I'll leave it here for a week and go to BaT if it doesn't sell.

Thanks all for looking!

Mike Simpson

order1.jpg
order2.jpg
order3.jpg
order4.jpg
order5.jpg

Last edited:
I took walk around videos including underneath etc as requested.

They are broken up in 5 chunks so I could upload them. They show the condition as described.
the only rust is rear sill, and its not bad, cosmetic, the actual channel seen in video 3 from underneath is still structurally sound.

so here's the videos, not great camera work, pretty shaky, but keyed in on any cosmetic flaws. They make the most sense in order

1:

2:

3:
76 walkaround3

4:
76 walkaround4

5: kept calling it sound deadening, it's actually for heat not sound on the drivers foot well.
76walkaround5

today after my sweet pro videographer work

20191028_151331.jpg

The manuals can go, the two ads will stay :)
The red 76 ad is a multi pager center-fold. I'll keep that

20191028_164413.jpg

PRO TIP:
Don't ever add these up, it will make you seriously reconsider your life goals (and asking prices)

20191028_170223.jpg

The shirt stays too, it and the adverts were given to me by a friend, who may or may not have done the art work
which may or may not be this truck :)
I have multiple stickers, so I suppose that can go

20191028_171937.jpg

Beautiful job!

This is a beautiful truck, perfect. Best of luck with the sale and all that brought it on.

Just to let everyone know, the truck has sold this morning to the first person in line.
a real nice guy from San Francisco...

Thanks for all the kind words, and well wishes, the Toyota 4x4 community is so solid and never ceases to amaze me for the civility respect, and consideration shared virtually across this community!

Mike S

Mike,

I’m very happy you got this sold quickly—I am just so sorry for the circumstances that made it necessary. I wish you and your family all the best. It was great to get to talk with you.

I look forward to your next build thread.

Mike,

Thank You for letting me pry that gorgeous 40 outta your hands; I promise to be a good steward of your work since you did such a marvelous job.

I guess I’ll be splitting time between my long time 80 family and my newly discovered 40 family; sounds like a great problem to have !!

Thanks again Mike for a great transaction and wishing you and your family well in these less than ideal circumstances.

Cheers, Jonathan

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know, the truck has sold this morning to the first person in line.
Man now I am gunna have to give Santa a new Pickup Address, Congrats on the sale and wishing you all the best, hopefully there will be future builds down the track to follow along when things level out.

I’m also near SF, I’m curious to see how the registration process goes considering this vehicle is in Colorado and will require a CA Smog check to be registered here. 🤞

I’m also near SF, I’m curious to see how the registration process goes considering this vehicle is in Colorado and will require a CA Smog check to be registered here. 🤞

Yeah, it will be ‘fun’ to say the least !

I have a good track record, 2 ‘unusual’ cruisers registered in CA in the last three years, so I always feel there is a way.......

Yeah, it will be ‘fun’ to say the least !

I have a good track record, 2 ‘unusual’ cruisers registered in CA in the last three years, so I always feel there is a way.......

Please keep me informed...so I can figure out if there is hope for me :)

it will get registered fine. straight up, retard timing to sea level, bump idle to 750...the thing is straight up legit emissions wise and every other way.

it is a federal emissions 76 40 with all smog equiptment in tact better than original (I bought several sets of components) to pass Colorado emissions, same as California, to.the tune of several thousand dollars 5 years ago, no tricks needes. Smog passed last week as it did 5 years ago in colorado for collector plates...same laws.
its pure. reason I went through what I did with 76 and up, eyes wide open.
75 woulda been easuer, but no nicer survivor I had found after a several years long search...
if Jonathan wants his money back, he knows where to get it ;)

Last edited:
its done, its been done.
the last pics above were last thursday
it sits in my garage, I think 2800 miles from when I bought it to its current 49400 miles.

there is nothing left to do.
cosmetics would be next, but I dont want to do that, it is too nice, all original paint etc. cosmetically it is not perfect, but I cant justify it on this one.

I have done the cosmetics before, like this one, but it was beat, and left for dead so it was the right thing to do on this 69:

i could do that cosmetic work to this one, but it wouldnt be the right thing. this was my forever 40, looked for a very long time to find it, took my time with it. it is very nice, and I wish I could keep it, but I cant.

reason I am selling, is the same reason I sold for a loss my 65 fj45lpb last year I bought from clemsoncruiser.

100% agree. Appreciate your restraint on the cosmetics. It's lived an easy life. No need to disconnect the history. It's beautiful.

This is a grail truck for sure! Congrats @cme4lyt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom