Dent repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any suggestions on how to pound these dents out and make it
look Ok? I'm not looking to make it show quality (just going to smash it up again).
Normally I just take a hammer to it but I'm sure there is a better way.

Lane
IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3244.JPG

I have a few also that i need to get straighten out. I usually stop by the body shop and have the guy do it for a couple of $.

high school shop class,get to know the teacher

high school shop class,get to know the teacher

X2 I like to use the local tech school, takes a while some times but they usualy come out looking good! I know people who have had their trucks painted there, it took a few months but came out good and didnt cost much.

Pat, you couldn't get the dents out of your truck by pressing it with a steamroller.

I dont think theres too much hope for my panels. After this week there may be even LESS hope, headed to the farm in about 20min.

I would suggest a torch and a puller of some sort. Could use a slide hammer. Experiment you will be going to tube fenders eventually. You might try the library they might have some body working books. The torch will allow the metal to be easily worked if u just try to do it cold it might not cooperate as well.

pullers are usually used in cases like rear quarter panels where you cant get behind them with a spoon. and any excess heat you put to the metal will only make it more maluable wich is good for forming the dent out of it but bad in that it will be that much easyer to redent the same spot.

But in your case lane the fender is really really accessible from both sides. Kina once told me about a small leaf spring from the bottom of a pack being a really good make shift spoon. I would suggest you pm Kina and get him to give you a couple body tips. (If i remember correctly he use to do it for a living)

Also being that the fender your working on is not that large, you might consider getting a sand bag to set the fender on and pound out the dent from the back. This lets you stretch the metal in a more controllable manner if im not mistaken.

Thanks Nate, I'll give the sand bag a try.
Yes, tube fenders are on the to do list somewhere!

pullers are usually used in cases like rear quarter panels where you cant get behind them with a spoon. and any excess heat you put to the metal will only make it more maluable wich is good for forming the dent out of it but bad in that it will be that much easyer to redent the same spot.

But in your case lane the fender is really really accessible from both sides. Kina once told me about a small leaf spring from the bottom of a pack being a really good make shift spoon. I would suggest you pm Kina and get him to give you a couple body tips. (If i remember correctly he use to do it for a living)

Also being that the fender your working on is not that large, you might consider getting a sand bag to set the fender on and pound out the dent from the back. This lets you stretch the metal in a more controllable manner if im not mistaken.

nate you should try these ideas on your truck :flipoff2: sorry just had to:lol:

Lane nate has some good points, you seem to be getting good with that welder.

nate you should try these ideas on your truck :flipoff2: sorry just had to:lol:

No effen way!
Took me a long time to make all those pretty tree hickeys and I intend to keep em :grinpimp:

One time last year i had some chevy guy in a shiny clean poser rig ask me "do you wheel that thing?" :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom