Denio/Onion Res. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone up at Onion Reservoir this weekend? I saw an 80, a jeep something and a 100 series. Headed toward the reservoir saturday morning. I was in the silver Tacoma. We were in the toy hauler just out of the flats. I wanted to chat about the rig, but you guys seemed in a little hurry and my dad is impatient also... Rig looks good, hopefully the road wasn't too bad for the other 2 lol. It gets crappy in a few spots but not too bad.

I'd bet good money that was DesertLake in his 80 and friends. He was sporting duct tape and plastic bag hiking shoes:rofl:. You never can predict this weather in NV❄🌦. Looked fun despite the snow.☃

Yep that was us! The 200 belongs to the guy I bought my 80 from. He towed the little Liberty up and still got better mileage than I did! His son has a youth tag up there, and I had been through a few years ago. We did not go all the way to onion, we had stopped at the first Aspen grove to hunt and decided to stay there when the snow knocked visibility down. Later we talked to another guy (Paul?) That told us that route to Onion is washed out pretty bad. Sunday we went out the way we came, I headed home and I think they circled the range to the west.

OI000002.JPG
OI000003.JPG
OI000005.JPG

And yeah I forgot my boots...

Why spend $100 on boots when you have $6 worth of duct tape and ziplocks??

Cool! Yeah the road wasn't too bad a few weeks ago, but there was a pretty good storm that came through and may have done some damage, Paul said it was pretty bad. I spent a total of 26 days up there, the deer are pretty thin. I saw a few lions, a few bobcats and a few coyotes. I was glad to see the weather, but unfortunately it didn't change much. I was glad my dad brought his Tacoma up though, I would have froze my ass off in that stupid side by side haha.

032 by TJ Brown

26 days?! Dedicated! Those 5 Rams and a bunch of cattle were all we saw. Muzzleloader season is nice though, when my son hunted rifle season a few years ago it was stupid crowded. I've still never hiked up to Blue Lake, was looking forward to it this time but the weather didn't cooperate with my footwear.

Nice that Denio Junction has gas again, last time I got in a bind and bought gas from the opal mine.

Its the first deer tag I have had since 2012, I figured I would put in as much effort as I could. The hike to blue is definitely worth it, but I bet there was a decent amount of snow up there. I hiked up to blue over the 4th of July on a scouting trip. There was quite a few people there so I kept going. Ended up a few miles past to the west, such cool country up there. I too am glad the junction is back to full service, their burgers are awesome and fuel up there is worth whatever they want to charge.

Did you see a Blackhawk buzzing around the day before I got there?

I didn't, but I didnt get into camp until about 7 Friday night. My dad was there about 2p and he didn't say anything. I'm guessing Paul didn't see anything either, he would have mentioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom