Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk July 2024 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All restrictions as been lifted but it's always good to have your vaccine-proof...
You do need to fill out ArriveCAN app prior to getting to border (I believe within 72 hours of arrival at border). You do have to upload photo of your vaccine card in the app. Other than that border was a breeze. Really you can do the Dempster in any vehicle (saw big RVs and passenger cars) but you do need decent ply tires. That said it is more fun in a 60 series!

You do need to fill out ArriveCAN app prior to getting to border (I believe within 72 hours of arrival at border). You do have to upload photo of your vaccine card in the app. Other than that border was a breeze. Really you can do the Dempster in any vehicle (saw big RVs and passenger cars) but you do need decent ply tires. That said it is more fun in a 60 series!

Absolutely! The vaccine passport is no longer need too to enter Canada. I truly want to go in my LC and test it a little :) Hope yo share the road next year to some member here!

Shoot, just saw this thread. Drove up to Tuktoyaktuk from Portland Oregon and got to the Arctic Ocean sign in Tuk on June 23rd. 1983 FJ60 with 1hz swap. Had no issues with cruiser at all and was with two kids, wife and 13 year old labrador. An amazing trip and highly recommend it to anyone who has the time to do it!
You do much camping? How many days from Whitehorse to the Arctic ocean?

You do much camping? How many days from Whitehorse to the Arctic ocean?
So starting in Whitehorse where we camped one night... Next night spent near Dawson City (Klondike River Campground), 2nd night north of Eagle Plains (Rock River Campground), third night Inuvik, 4th night in Tuktoyaktuk right on the Arctic. On the way back down south camped first night near Fort Mcpherson and then the next night in Tombstone Territorial Campground. Camping on the Arctic in Tuk and at Tombstone were my two favorite spots on the trip. Rock River Campground and the one near Fort Mcpherson I must have lost a pint of blood to the ravenous hordes of mosquitos. Probably better in late summer for the mosquitos. We were a bit limited on number of hours driving with a three and six year old with us. You could probably make better time than we did.

So starting in Whitehorse where we camped one night... Next night spent near Dawson City (Klondike River Campground), 2nd night north of Eagle Plains (Rock River Campground), third night Inuvik, 4th night in Tuktoyaktuk right on the Arctic. On the way back down south camped first night near Fort Mcpherson and then the next night in Tombstone Territorial Campground. Camping on the Arctic in Tuk and at Tombstone were my two favorite spots on the trip. Rock River Campground and the one near Fort Mcpherson I must have lost a pint of blood to the ravenous hordes of mosquitos. Probably better in late summer for the mosquitos. We were a bit limited on number of hours driving with a three and six year old with us. You could probably make better time than we did.

Cool trip!
What kind of fuel range do you need?

Cool trip!
What kind of fuel range do you need?
Dempster Corner (at the start of the Dempster highway is a gas station) to Eagle Plains is approximately 240 miles. This is the longest distance between gas stations. With 1hz engine and stock FJ60 tank (23.8 gallons) had no issue whatsoever. Was getting about 19 mpg even loaded down so was only at a half tank at Eagle Plains. On the way back the Eagle Plains gas station did have a network issue and were only taking cash. I was glad I had an extra two gallons of diesel in a rotopax can as I only had $60 Canadian on me at the time and no ATM there. Bottom line fill up wherever you can on the Dempster and bring lots of cash.

@Zjohnsonua once my HZJ78 is completed or functional end of Jund 2022 if the covid restriction is over I will post an update with a meet point in West Coast.

This will be a once a lifetime adventure folks need to prepare and make it happen :)
My dad and I did it in his Honda Ridgeline back in 2019. Such an awesome trip we still talk about it constantly. Planning on going back someday, might take the LX470 once it's proven it's reliable.

Hijack - in 1991 I was running a group up to Tuk & found a guy about half way to Eagle Plains from that station at the corner, he had a flat and his family was camped off in the woods, said he was waiting by the road every day for 2 weeks waiting for someone, I drove him back to the station to get a tire and then back to where he was, it was surreal to be that remote with no radios, cell phones, nothin but an axe.

Hijack - in 1991 I was running a group up to Tuk & found a guy about half way to Eagle Plains from that station at the corner, he had a flat and his family was camped off in the woods, said he was waiting by the road every day for 2 weeks waiting for someone, I drove him back to the station to get a tire and then back to where he was, it was surreal to be that remote with no radios, cell phones, nothin but an axe.

That must have been so crazy! I remember going up to Dawson in early 1997 and camping by the Yukon River it was then not very touristic area!

I been to that campground in Dawson, it's one of my favorite spots. I enjoyed walking to ferry to go into Dawson for dinner then walking back late night and the ferry still going. Thats a good one. Sourdough in Tok is good too.

I been to that campground in Dawson, it's one of my favorite spots. I enjoyed walking to ferry to go into Dawson for dinner then walking back late night and the ferry still going. Thats a good one. Sourdough in Tok is good too.
Never been to Tok but my goal for the next years to come is the travel the most northern road in Canada including ICE ROAD

I like the Cassair for going North out of the US up to AK, Bell & Bell 2 are cool and the river and scenery are unreal. There is a hot springs that you gotta hike to off the road that is in middle of nowhere, its epic, fish that live in the hot water, thats on the Alcan IIRC tho. Check out Inuvit (SP) we went there, during summer its the most northern city by road. Take the ferry at Fort McPhearson, its a long haul but worth it. On the dempster, youll get to the turn out where the big artic circle sign is , just before that you cross a small bridge, great camp spot on river (northwest corner of bridge? , fishing was good but the beavers will chase you out.

Lots of good info in this thread. I want to do this trip again! Maybe summer 2003?
9508F838-F318-49E1-BCC2-D5124A80012D.jpeg

That's an amazing photo! I truly hope that I can make it this summer I have been waiting for 3 summers now for my Troopy to be ready
I’ll be here for at least 3 years minimum. If @coldtaco is down too, that would be 3 HZ-powered 7Xs

Not only would the trip be epic having a troopy, wagon, and ute; spares planning would be easy considering cross-compatibility. Plus he has tons of local knowledge!

I’ll be here for at least 3 years minimum. If @coldtaco is down too, that would be 3 HZ-powered 7Xs

Not only would the trip be epic having a troopy, wagon, and ute; spares planning would be easy considering cross-compatibility. Plus he has tons of local knowledge!
I am all in mate! That would be incredible :) I will update once my truck turns on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom