Delta Shifter Console and Tuffy Console hybrid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to share a recent project and I am happy with the results. I wanted to improve the center console of my 96’ LX450. It didn’t have much space because of the factory subwoofer and for me the arm rest was useless. I had some gauges on my dash for my turbo setup and wanted to get those down low too. Basically here is a list of the improvements I wanted.

-Useful armrest
-Additional USB ports
-Additional 12V power for front and rear passengers
-Location for 3 2” gauges down low
-Additional locations for aux switches
-Retain factory cupholder and 3D printed cupholder
-Additional cupholders for rear passengers
-More storage space and lockable
-Maintain functionality of rear heater
-Maintain rear seat folding and tumbling functions
-Clean, factory-like look

My solution was a Delta Vehicle Systems shifter console/ Tuffy Console hybrid. The Delta Vehicle Systems shifter console was pretty straight forward and fit well. The tan color option wasn’t a good match and the gauge panel was anodized black instead of being tan. I ended up sanding everything and painting them.

The Tuffy console was positioned as far forward as possible. It was notched to clear the body stiffener on the front and sheet metal skirting added to raise it up to a comfortable arm rest level. Slots were added to the rear skirt for rear heater vents. The rear cup holder was added with thumbscrews so it can be easily removed if necessary, this required welding nuts inside. Square holes were cut for adding the factory driver cupholder. The added skirting created a unique space under the console so I took my Wits End lock box that I no longer needed and cut the lid off. I then cut a hole in the bottom of the Tuffy and attach this hinged lid with Medco lock. This creates a second lockable storage space that is kind of secret and a surprisingly large area. Features were added so the box bolts in four locations using factory tapped holes in the body. A transition piece was welded to the front to make a smooth transition between the Tuffy and Delta consoles. The Tuffy armrest pad was removed and used as a master to cut and sew a new pad cover out of the Lseat leather. I am really happy with it and between the Tuffy, Delta shifter console, Wits End ashtray insert, and Wits End cubby insert I now have some clean storage, plenty of gauges/switches/USB/12V, and cell phone holder. I think that covers everything I did. Here are a bunch of photos showing the progression and end result.

EDIT: Here is a list of the major items I sourced for the project.
-Delta Vehicle Systems, LHD Shifter Console with 3 gauge, 2 switch, 2 12V faceplate
-Tuffy Series II Security Console, 8” Wide, SKU 012-04 with standard cupholder
-Rustoleum 7226 textured Bronze
-3 square feet of Bisque leather from Lseat.com for armrest, matches my Lseat front seats
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, very well done and creative adaption of that Tuffy. I just bought on myself, and was wondering how to fit it best to allow for a good armrest position and for the rear seats to fold forward. I like the new base/skirt you built and will probably copy this idea. Thanks for the write up!

Does the shifter obscure the gauges while driving?
It looks like it does from the pictures, but it is also in “park”, not “drive”, & as lower angle than seated in driver seat.
Curious if swapping gauges towards the right would be helpful?

Man I like that. I’ve been pondering this but I haven’t made up my mind on the number of gauges/switches I would want in the Delta shifter console. I would prob want what you did. Very nicely done.

Does the shifter obscure the gauges while driving?
It looks like it does from the pictures, but it is also in “park”, not “drive”, & as lower angle than seated in driver seat.
Curious if swapping gauges towards the right would be helpful?

Sorry about the photo quality but here is a photo with the camera up by my eyes to help show what I see when driving. I hope this helps.
22.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom