Delayed start this morning...any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 1989 FJ62 with 234k miles that is my daily driver. Hopped in this morning and turned the key and absolutely nothing. Gauges worked and battery was fine but no action under the hood. It's done this once or twice where I just turn the key a second time and then it works.

This morning I tried turning the key for like 5 minutes and nothing. Then it slowly started to turn over but not like it usually does. It was struggling. I gave it a ton of gas and it finally got going. There was a ton of exhaust that shot out the back and it took a few minutes for her to feel normal again.

One thing to note is I did smell a little gas last night when I parked her and thought perhaps it's time to do the charcoal canister.

But this morning seems like maybe it's the cool igniter?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

My 87 60 has done something similar over the course of the last two months. It's done it three times and is completely random. I'm pretty sure it's the ignition switch. not the tumbler, but the electrical diodes and such behind the tumbler. I bought a used one from CruiserParts as OEM is NLA, but hesitant to replace mine with a used one. Heard they have aftermarket on RockAuto that work and are pretty good quality.

Mine would do absolutely nothing when I would try to start it, then after 10 or 15 attempts it would start right up. The last time, though, it didn't do anything, then would click, click, click, click, click. A jump started it right up.

I then checked the battery charge and it was good, but then I cleaned ALL the battery and starter-related connections and it's been fine since. But i'm expecting that I'll need to replace the ignition switch soon.

Next time it does that, smack the starter with a tool. If it cranks over after that- it's the starter.

Ah, the ol' "hit it with a hammer" fix. Used that for many years with an old '69 Firebird I was too broke to fix. I'll have to try that as well, next time it happens to mine before I crack open the steering column.

Good suggestion

Next time it does that, smack the starter with a tool. If it cranks over after that- it's the starter.

If you have two people, have one hold the key in the start position, and another whack the starter with an axe handle. As in, 'Honey, I know you're in your pajamas, but I need you right this minute - thanks!'

and like we all do, fix it after the first whack.

exactly what my 60 was doing. I was way out in the woods and it did it, I smacked it with a rock and it started up. The starter was still under warranty and a new one took care of the problem

It's the coil ignitor ground. Mine hasn't done that since i cleaned the coil mount and bolts, and ran a second ground wire from the ignitor case to the wheelwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom