Delayed noises....thud and clank! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser and have looked through the forums for the culprit. I see some poeple write about a possible tranny issue but I'm not quite sure about it. My cruiser has a delayed thud or engaging noise it sounds like. If I take my foot off the gas it sometimes makes a clunk noise like coming out of gear. If I then depress the gass again it will make the same noise. I have also noticed this noise when coming to a stop as I am slowing down. Hate to point to the tranny but you never know. I will be taking it to the mechanic in a month but live in the middle of nowhere.

Robert:hmm: :confused:

U joints? Check the drivelines for "play", excesssive movement. Disclaimer....I am not an expert!

I just had a buddy get in the rig and put it into gear, we did drive then reverse a few times while I checked the drive lines. No play at all.....?

Sounds like normal driveline thunk.

Lube the slip yokes and see if it improves. (I use Amsoil EP #2 Lithium grease w/ 3% moly, purple colored but any #2 grease will do)

attachment.php

A search for "thunk" will show extensive threads on this topic.

Last edited:
Sounds like normal driveline thunk.

Lube the slip yokes and see if it improves. (I use Amsoil EP #2 Lithium grease w/ 3% moly, purple colored but any #2 grease will do)

A search for "thunk" will show extensive threads on this topic.

I have had the same problem for about 10-15k miles, and have to re-lube ever 5-7.5k miles - but it resolves it every time.

Thanks guys I will give that a try and get back with you on it. Hopefully its not the dreaded "Tranny issue."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom