Del Albright's Recreational Leadership Training Course (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.harrysituations.com
I just finished taking Del Albright's Recreational Leadership Training Course (RLTC -- Recreational Leadership Training Course by Del Albright) and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in land use issues. The course is broken down into 10 modules that are about 16 pages each, making them "bite sized" and not too overwhelming. The modules cover everything from planning and organization to how to retain volunteers to how to deal with politicians and bureaucrats and get them on our side.

Outside of land use, there are a lot of valuable leadership and management tips that can be applied to other aspects of life, from running your business to raising your kids. This last summer I managed a crew of 30 people in Alaska, facing challenges like power outages, bad weather, and volcanoes erupting. I don't have a lot of management experience, I usually work on my own. I really wish I had taken this training course before I went up to Alaska!

If you don't know about Del, he is a Blue Ribbon Coalition Ambassador and was the catalyst for the Friends of the Rubicon, so he knows a thing or two about land use and volunteering. He is also a member of IH8Mud (jeepndel) and has a pretty cool Jeep that he wheels all over the West Coast. He has done a better job than anyone I have seen in bridging the gap between the "hard core" side and the "old school" guys (and even Jeep owners and Toyota owners ;) ) in getting everyone on the same page and working together towards a common goal.

The course costs $150, but if you belong to Blue Ribbon or another land use organization (like Cal4Wheel or Tread Lightly!) you get 20% off. To sweeten the pot even more, Del organizes a raffle at the end of the year for people who have completed the course. A bunch of companies that support responsible land use, like Warn, ARB, and Powertank, kick down some great prizes (RLTC Sponsors). Kurt Schneider (the genius who organized the Rock Zombie Bikini Car Wash- Rock Zombie Bikini Rig wash and swap meet! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board) just won a T-Maxx winch in the last raffle! More information is on Del's website at RLTC -- Recreational Leadership Training Course by Del Albright .

Thanks for the nice note, Harry. You graduated with honors, by the way (smile). :popcorn: Folks from all over the country are taking the course now. It seems to be helping a lot of people with work, personal and volunteer life issues. I'm glad to hear that. I really do believe we ask a lot from our volunteers without giving them much training. We need to change that.
Del

I too have completed this course and encourage all TLCA members who chair or support TLCA events to take the course. It basically is Incident Command, how to manage volunteers and as noted, how to navigate land use and agency barriers. For me, it was incident command (which I do not fully employ) and managing volunteers which I found to be huge.

Additionally, I found it another avenue to support Del in his land use efforts. We all talk about land use and getting more involved... my form of involvement is supporting Del financially, and he in turn actively works towards my land use goals.

The price is extremely reasonable, you work at your own pace and your event will be the benefactor from your efforts.

Thanks Del... thanks for everything you do that supports our hobby and our open access to public lands!

Tony Twiddy
Rubithon chair

Additionally, I found it another avenue to support Del in his land use efforts. We all talk about land use and getting more involved... my form of involvement is supporting Del financially, and he in turn actively works towards my land use goals.

Excellent point Tony! That was a motivating factor for me as well, but I could verbalize it nearly as well as you did. It is worth mentioned that Tony was also the fastest person to complete the RLTC and has set the bar pretty high for the rest of us. :D

Also, I heard a rumor that Del's better half is now driving an 80 Series Land Cruiser, so we need more people to sign up for this course so he can afford to put gas in the new Cruiser! (and maybe some sliders and a lift...)

Also, I heard a rumor that Del's better half is now driving an 80 Series Land Cruiser, so we need more people to sign up for this course so he can afford to put gas in the new Cruiser! (and maybe some sliders and a lift...)

Ha ha ha ha, thanks! That's funny but it is no rumor, it is true, I did bring home an 80 series and I'm lucky to park it in the driveway! ;)

"Elsie" is great and yes, I do need a lift and sliders. So far Goodyear has stepped up with a set of their new treads and I'm anxiously waiting for the set to come in! :clap:

Huh, what? Did I miss something about handing out gas money?

Not just a rumor, it's true. Love my "Elsie". Got the new Goodyear Wranglers put on and I was so impressed by being able to fit those babies right up in there with stock suspension (33's).

Still need a lift and sliders tho :D

All in time right?

So, in the mean time, I'm busy on the road and driving the Jeep :flipoff2:

Another one of Del's RLTC grads & KAT Team member :cheers:

Nice pic LadyRed has for a avatar ;)

RLTC offer

Thanks for all the kind words, folks, and it's nice to see so many of my "students" doing good things to help save trails and our sport.

As far as the online training course goes, anyone who joins the Access Army (which is free and easy) gets 1/2 off the course. Just an FYI. It's all about land use and access -- and the more soldiers we can get who understand the process the better.

I wish I could just give away the course; but if I don't keep finding ways to make some gas money, I won't be able to do what I'm doing now for saving trails.

Del

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom