"Degreening" the OEM Nakamichi Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LndXrsr

AHC Aficionado
SILVER Star
Threads
So I really dislike dash lights of the greenish variety...everything from 90s GM teal to our weak-sauce green LC/LX switches. I recently swapped everything out for red LEDs, which reduces eye-strain at night. However, the OEM radio doesn't have replaceable bulbs. I did pull it apart anyway to remove the little green condoms that give each bulb color. What you're left with is an orange/amber color that doesn't match my red dash, but is way easier on the eyes...at least until I put in an aftermarket stereo.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5328.jpg

Some pics on accessing the radio bulbs:

Loosen the radio and pull the faceplate by unlocking all the tabs all the way around
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5324.jpg

The circuitry unscrews from the faceplate and most bulbs will be accessible. Be gentle so as to not mess up the fragile ribbon cable holding both parts together. Just pull the little green rubber caps off. You can see most of the bulbs here, some removed, some still green. Don't miss the ones pointing down at the volume and audio control knobs!
qGDFpEphRYWAQCpOAUsB6A_thumb_5329.jpg

Finally, there are two more bulbs for the LCD screen underneath its metal housing. Straighten the bent tabs on the back of the board, allowing you to flex the front of the LCD housing away from the board and access the last two bulbs. The housing wont easily come off all the way, so just gently bent one of the long edges upward until you have access. Pop it back in and re-bend the tabs. Piece everything back together.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_532d.jpg

Nicely done!

This is awesome! As an offshore sailor, I can certainly appreciate red LEDs swapped out for green ones.

Yeah, red in the marine environment has always been the go to it seems. Not sure why auto manufacturers can't all get on board. Miss my old Audis in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom