degree of interest....talking socal flower expedition...update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Throwing this out there for possible expedition interest.

SoCal/central Cal is 100-200% on moisture drop (rain) = possible epic flower season.

Thinking following bloom south to north. Say start at mex border (yuma or...), then offroad up to DV over 2-3 weeks. This would be expo style (me = tent). I like the 2 nights per camping spot pace = time to 1) see flowers, 2) investigate local POI, 3) excercise (mountain bike/hike/trail run/fish or ?????).

Target audience: beginner to pro (leave testosterone @ home). Note we would never be too far from civilization thus low risk. Matter of fact, there might be cell coverage on the majority of tracks.

Haven't bracketed dates. probably a week+ notice based on heat.

Also, if anyone has tracked this before (expedition style, not rock crawling), feel free to chyme in!

NOTE: will cross post to expedition portal

DOUBLE NOTE: my participation is dependent on medical schedule (new shoulder). So would need a co-organizer such that overall concept happens.

I would watch the weather. Great rain in December, followed by a dry January, does not make a superbloom. There will be flowers, but I suspect the dry month will wilt the seedlings that germinated. I've seen reports coming out of Anza-Borrego that some annuals are showing already.

Great advice!

In the mean time I will mull over route matched to known flower hot spots.

This could be a SoCal desert hat trick (anza borrego/Mohave/Death Valley). :bounce:

Not sure I can commit to the entire route, too much work, but interested in jumping in on southern section.

Great advice!

In the mean time I will mull over route matched to known flower hot spots.

This could be a SoCal desert hat trick (anza borrego/Mohave/Death Valley). :bounce:
That's been a goal of mine for a while. My buddy (birder) does that, along with some spots in Arizona.

I'm planning for a trip to DV around the end of March. I intended to include stopovers in Mammoth, etc, but i injured my shoulder/shoulder blade/ribs last weekend, so that's off...

:doh:

Keep me informed w/r dv...possible meet up if flowers take us through there.

Also just noted: this could be a SoCal "desert haul" as I forgot about the Sonora desert encroaching into USA near yuma:clap:

I would be interested in this. I am based out of Las Vegas, so can access the Mohave Preserve and Death Valley pretty easily.

Planning on running the Mohave Road in mid-February for a long weekend.

Alan

Hi Alan,

R u knowledgable (or know someone) of remote flower hot spots in your referenced sphere of influence?

I'm just starting the "websearch" on this, so I'm getting mainstream results. My goal is to find the remote "top secret" spots that would make the trip worthy of "expedition" moniker. 'Course, why do u think they call it "secret".

Anyway, let's keep the comm open.

Keep on keeping on!

My goal is to find the remote "top secret" spots
Sub'd.

I'm usually in DV in April, which may be kinda late for the peak bloom. I've been meaning to check out Gold Valley which is remote, if not "top secret", but due to the higher elevation, the bloom happens later. Gold Valley is named after the Desert Gold that covers the valley.

Death-Valley-Gold-Valley-Wildflowers-L.jpg

I also hope to hike Willow Canyon while I'm there, if it's accessible.

2/16/20 update

Well, as a few of you pointed out, early rains do not maketh a super-bloom (at least not yet). Following are flower reports from the 4 SoCal desert regions:

Borrego Springs

The 2020 Flower Season: Anza-Borrego Desert Wildflowers Update

With approximately 3. 5 inches of rainfall in the Borrego Springs area in during November and December the winter season started off with the right ingredients for a good spring wildflower season. But there was no additional rain in January. February is yet to unfold but the best guess to this year's flower season is that there will be flowers but not to expect any kind of "superbloom" as was experienced in recent years. Individual flower reports will be important this year for visitors to direct themselves to the best areas.

Score 2/10

More on the park: Park Information. Desert Wildflowers 2019 Anza Borrego Desert State Park - DesertUSA
Death Valley: Death Valley Wildflower Report - DesertUSA

Feb 14, 2020 Death Valley NP reports: We are not expecting a superbloom this year, but should have a variety of wildflowers in different areas of the park.

Score: ?/10

Joshua tree: Desert Wildflower Reports for Joshua Tree NP by DesertUSA

Score 1/10

Sonoran Desert

Score ?/10

Note: a "miracle march" could change things.

Will check back in a few weeks with update. In the meantime, feel free to post any "best known flower route" for the 4 deserts.

My shots are from last spring.

Got it.

Update: considering the health crisis (yes, I poo poo'd early on.....and I am an RN (no, I don't play one on tv)), I've been negligent on updating this.

I feel it would be irresponsible to plan a group trip at this juncture. Though I would encourage solo rig runs as there is probably no place safer than the desert (or beach for that matter).

Stupidly, I am making a pre-planned run on the the 21st....anza borrego annual jam/gathering (been going on for 30yrs, it is a 20p gathering though I'm willing to take that risk).

As they say in my world (....taking on risk)....party on, Garth!:beer::flush:

I'm till going last week in March. The storms this weekend might yield a nice burst of color for you next week.

:cheers:

Resurrection: Could the 2021 flower season be the year?

Looks doubtful based on health concerns (COVID). However I'll take the opportunity to practice the plan (dates south to north to map w. blooms).

May the force be with you!

Update: Was out in Blair Valley (Anza Borrego desert, east san diego) this past weekend.

Driest spring I've ever seen. Usually spring brings lush green meadow (it's a sink)....brown as can be.

Thus, flower potential is way low.

Will move efforts to next season.

‘Fraid so. We’re still going end of this month (a year late LOL).

The wildflower scene was pretty much a total bust. The creosote bushes were in full bloom though, and it was wonderful waking up to all the hummingbirds browsing the flowers.

😍😍😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom