Degreasing the engine while I've got the manifolds off...what should I plug/cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title says it all. I'm sick of getting black sludge on my hands and sleeves whenever I have to reach over the valve cover. Plus, I might be able to track down the leak if it's not quite so messy on the outside.

What I'm wondering is...what needs protecting under the hood? The carb and manifolds are out of the engine bay. He's the list of things I thought of:

- Tape over the intake/exhaust ports (duh!)
- Plug the tops of the exhaust and EGR downpipes
- Generally keep water and degreaser away from the 'obvious' stuff like the alt/AC/smog pump/brake booster/coil/distributor/openings to the vac system

Did I miss anything? Any tricks?

i don't think the water will hurt the alt/ps/ac clutch nor should diluted cleaner unless your using some serious acid. All that stuff gets wet everytime you drive in the rain.

I'd stay away from the coil but but the dizzy should be tight.

Pressure wash everything in the engine bay including inner fenders, frame, steering box. Go crazy. Everything in your bay gets wet when you drive in the rain and/or play in the mud puddles anyway.

Id go as far as removing the water overflow tanks, battery tray and wiper fluid bottles and really get the thing clean.

When i painted my old honda i pressure washed the engine bay. Cleaned it with rags and paint thinner. Then i went in and wet sanded then painted the entire engine bay.

At the same time i tucked all wires inside the fenders and cleaned up any hoses.

It really came out clean and did not take long at all. I could have eaten off of the inner fenders.

I just did the engine swap on my cruiser and really need to get inthere and re route all the wiring so it's clean. I hate spaghetii but if you do things my way plan on adding a few hours of work to an hour of cleaning.

Ah, I should have been more specific.

I don't have a pressure washer, so I'm using the spray-on foam that you let sit, then hose off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom