Degreaser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of any good degreaser? I am wanting to pressure wash my undercarage and would like to soak it in some cleaner first. Thanks

yeah, that purple stuff from walmart is great.

What about the Castrol SuperClean, I have used it with great
luck. took about 1/2" of grease and grime off of a 73 FJ55 Transfer
case that i am sure wasnt cleaned since new...

Thanks

Just be careful with any of the purple cleaners around bare aluminum (i.e. t-case, engine block), they tend to be rather corrosive. I like to use milder degreasers, like Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean, and agitate the gunk with a brush before power washing.

Regardless of what you use, try to wear rubber gloves and eye protection and use the cleaner in a well-ventilated area. All those cleaners are really strong unless diluted.

Just be careful with any of the purple cleaners around bare aluminum [...snip...] Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean, and agitate the gunk with a brush before power washing.

Castrol Super Clean is a caustic cleanser ("Purple cleaner") so becareful when you use it. It is very strong, but does not like to be diluted since it greatly loses its efficacy when diluted.

The degreaser from POR-15 seems to be pretty good. I bought a gallon and only dilute about 1 cup to 1 gallon of hot water. Pour it on and wait about 30 mintues. Stubborn stuff takes a littel elbow grease but things get clean with no corrosive sideeffects.
Fish

Big Orange - available at auto parts stores is one I like. Don't be fooled by the name. It's not a citrus based cleaner. It contains lye (sodium hydroxide) just like the others. I haven't had any problems with corrosion though.

Unless it's dripping on the driveway, or too greasy to work on, don't degrease !

Amongst swet drip of crank case, and xfer, past PS pump leaks, etc, I have absolutely no concern about frame rust or underbody rust....

I don't know if it is available in the US, but I love to use a degreaser named DR. Mechanic. It is great stuff, when used with a pressure washer it is unstoppable.

Simple Green sucks my ass! I bought 2 gallons of that crap and its good for 2 things...cleaning spills/ leaks, and washing my hands (Yes, its that diluted!)
Im gonna give the purple stuff a try for cleaning parts based on others recommendation...Harbor Freight also has a concentrated degreaser that I might give a whirl too.

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom