Defrost on a 1977 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stupid question of the day..how do you turn the windshield defroster on...or is there one?

There should be a pull lever on the heater box that switches between vent and defrost. Pics will always be helpful.

There should be a pull lever on the heater box that switches between vent and defrost. Pics will always be helpful.

Not my picture, just found it on google.

C8548E0A-1D56-49A7-9BEE-B8DD94541AEE.jpeg

Touch the letters up with a white paint pen. Little piece comes off with a phillips screw from the side.

20200929_171224.jpg

It appears you're missing the drivers side corrugated plastic def hose. It runs from the side of the heater up to the defrost port thats high up under the dash. There should be 1 on the pass side too.

It appears you're missing the drivers side corrugated plastic def hose. It runs from the side of the heater up to the defrost port thats high up under the dash. There should be 1 on the pass side too.
Thanks. Can u provide a picture?

This is a good thread for me to follow, as I'm adding OEM heat to a LatAm spec 40 this winter.
Great diagram as well. Pardon the slight highjack.

I notice on the diagram is shows two cables, what looks to be a warm pull and a fresh pull cable, or is a fan pull and a warm pull? Anyway, it doesn't show three cables. Typically, I've seen fan, fresh and warm pull knobs, all of which I thought associated with heat.

Do you need all three? Reason I ask is that I only have two holes in a line where normally you'd see three. @topnote - yours has all three. Do you use all three to operate the heater? My third hole in that line is filled with the diesel fuel cut off pull knob. I have other holes available, but if I don't need all three, even better.

slight hijack complete... back to your normal programming. And that heater box pic @DangerNoodle is gorgeous.

This is a good thread for me to follow, as I'm adding OEM heat to a LatAm spec 40 this winter.
Great diagram as well. Pardon the slight highjack.

I notice on the diagram is shows two cables, what looks to be a warm pull and a fresh pull cable, or is a fan pull and a warm pull? Anyway, it doesn't show three cables. Typically, I've seen fan, fresh and warm pull knobs, all of which I thought associated with heat.

Do you need all three? Reason I ask is that I only have two holes in a line where normally you'd see three. @topnote - yours has all three. Do you use all three to operate the heater? My third hole in that line is filled with the diesel fuel cut off pull knob. I have other holes available, but if I don't need all three, even better.

slight hijack complete... back to your normal programming. And that heater box pic @DangerNoodle is gorgeous.

Here are the pulls for a '77:

IMG_4003.jpg

Forget about the small fan knob in the upper right, that is my aftermarket AC switch.

So is there heater duct out there for the defrost accessory? The defrost heater duct is no longer available from Toyota or CCOT. Has anyone built one from stock heater ducting? Defrost is a key function in New England

Where did you get the new knobs and how hard are the to replace?

They aren't new, except the cig lighter was replaced. I refurbished all the original knobs, see this thread (Restoring Switch Knobs) on directions. Some of the knobs have a set screw that attaches the knobs to the pulls. Also, if you need some knobs, reach out to @ToyotaMatt for some help.

A better pick of the knobs in my rig, before I installed the Sniper EFI.
IMG_1730.jpg

Choke knob & pull-wire was removed when I installed the Holley Sniper EFI computer screen.
IMG_6841.JPG

They aren't new, except the cig lighter was replaced. I refurbished all the original knobs, see this thread (Restoring Switch Knobs) on directions. Some of the knobs have a set screw that attaches the knobs to the pulls. Also, if you need some knobs, reach out to @ToyotaMatt for some help.

A better pick of the knobs in my rig, before I installed the Sniper EFI.
View attachment 2451980

Choke knob & pull-wire was removed when I installed the Holley Sniper EFI computer screen.
View attachment 2451982
Stunning cockpit bud. Really.

So is there heater duct out there for the defrost accessory? The defrost heater duct is no longer available from Toyota or CCOT. Has anyone built one from stock heater ducting? Defrost is a key function in New England
Keep an eye in the classified section, post a wanted ad in there too, also watch ebay. They come up for sale fairly often. I have a set, but they are set up and come with the optional side window defrost ducts. I dont have the end of the vents which attach to the outside of the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom