Defrost hose placement question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I have a Feb 1971 FJ40. It has the four wheel drive shifter under the dash. I bought the FJ recently and it didn’t have any defrost hoses attached. I found some at Summit racing and have attached the passenger side. I was wondering if someone could please show a good picture of how the driver side defrost hose goes around the 4 wheel drive shifter. I am having trouble figuring out how it goes. Also, is there a trick to getting the dash cluster out. It seems like it is the only way to get to the upper attachment point for the defrost hose on that side.

Thanks all for any help.

The first time you pull the cluster, you have to detach the speedometer cable first. It’s hard to reach.

While it’s out grind or saw off half of the length of the tabs on the bottom of the bezel. That will allow you to remove the cluster next time without having to detach the speedometer cable first

Unhook your battery before you pull the cluster!
Two screws on the front of cluster. Reach up underneath to unhook the speedometer that is on the back of cluster.
It can be tough to reach. Sometimes there is enough play in the speedometer cable to pull the cluster forward and reach in to unplug the cable.

Great. Thank you. That makes sense. I could tell there was some cable holding it in and I didn’t want to force it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom