defrost doesn't really blow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it seems that the hot air (assuming it gets hot) doesn't really blow on the windshield, it just works off of the hot air rises principle.
have any of you tried to install an inline fan into the ducts or something to force a little air up there?
being a computer dork i have a range of fans just sitting around (60mm-120mm) and am wondering if there would be some effective way to install one in there somewhere.

any thoughts/ideas?

If the blower fan works you should get ample flow up there. Check and clean out all critter nests in the plastic housing/duct between the blower/firewall and the internal heater core. Also, check, clean out and make sure they are attached ...the flex tubing from the heater core up to the defroster vents. Shouldn't really need a helper fan.

My tubes had fallen off; it was gravity versus friction since it seemed like the flex tubes were shorter than they should be. Had to make "extensions" out of cardboard tubing but it's been working fine since.

Are you getting good flow from your heater itself? Sometimes the rubber gasket between the duct and the heater leaks and can benefit from a hose clamp.

I had to do both to fix mine. Hoses fell off, and seal up duct work. Works great now.

I had a similar problem years ago. I had the windshield down for a while and when I put it back up, the gasket that sits down in the channel was not seated right and blocked the airflow. Of course, you don't find this out until the top is on and it's cold.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom