Definitive List for Next Level Planned Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Irish Reiver

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
In the next week my truck will roll through 150K. It's a pretty low batting average for a 24 year old truck. Over the years I have done all the "Level 1" (Fluids, plugs, filters etc). Along the way I have also replaced the PHH and the other coolant hoses just for good measure.

Is there a list items that we should turn our attention to given the age and mileage of our trucks. What other components have a "life limit"? For example, does a water pump or FPR degrade over time? Is there a recommended (or learned) age/mileage to swap these items or do you just leave them until they fail completely.
The things that came to my mind are listed below. What else should be added to (or removed from) the list?

Water Pump
Fuel Pressure regulator
Injectors
Fuel pump

Have you owned your 80 since new or at least have good information on its maintenance history? If so, you have a good idea of how vehicle performance may have degraded over the years even if it’s in a small way. The first thing that came to mind was the condition of your radiator. Your mileage is not high but 24 years can take its own toll. I bought my current 80 with 267k miles, now 289k and most of what you listed was still original save the hoses and radiator and it runs very well. I did replace the water pump as a precaution when I went through the cooling system but the pump seemed to be just fine. There are threads that verify original water and fuel pumps with over 400k so..... A good maintenance program makes this possible and that’s why I asked if you know your 80’s entire history.

Of the different systems on our favorite vehicles, the cooling system and HG seem to be the subjects of greatest concern. An honorable mention could be made of the engine wire harness in the area of the egr tube.

I picked up a wrecked 80 ro part out with only 175k miles. Runs great (bent frame and front axle) but it smokes on start up bad. At this age valve stem seals are starting to go no matter how good you take care of it.

I picked up a wrecked 80 ro part out with only 175k miles. Runs great (bent frame and front axle) but it smokes on start up bad. At this age valve stem seals are starting to go no matter how good you take care of it.
Original valves, guides and seals here with 290k and I use less than a quart of oil in 5k miles and I never see smoke.

Last edited:
Original valves, guides and seals here with 290k and I use less than a quart of oil in 5k miles and I never see smoke.

they get oiled while driving ;)

if the engine has low miles, it doesnt get used much, and the seals dry up.

Finn, like I said yesterday at my house. hit up @beno and hand over your wallet. and he will get you ALL rubber gaskets doors windows rear hatch. do your crank seal (remember that big aZZ breaker bar) water pump. and motor tranny mounts( I still need to do) that with all OEM bushing and body mounts and your way ahead of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom