Deer vs 60: need denver body repair recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m originally from Michigan and if anyone got a deer and didn’t pick it up, the very next person did!

The only deer my father ever 'got' was pinged by my brother in a 1973 Subaru GL coupe on Christmas Eve in central Michigan. We found the still-alive deer the next day, and a state trooper shot it in the head 3 times with a 38 spl., (quite a sight for me to witness at a young age) and we tossed the whole deer in the back of the '72 Ford wagon. Gutted it at home in the garage on Christmas day. My mother (for sure) will never forget that adventure - she was somewhat appalled that 'THIS was how we spent Christmas day'.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. I think having Classic Cruisers in Salida work on it would be your closest/best bet. I'm pretty sure they do this kind of repair, and you might be able to chip in some personal $$ and get more of the truck painted, as needed.

I’m originally from Michigan and if anyone got a deer and didn’t pick it up, the very next person did!

The only deer my father ever 'got' was pinged by my brother in a 1973 Subaru GL coupe on Christmas Eve in central Michigan. We found the still-alive deer the next day, and a state trooper shot it in the head 3 times with a 38 spl., (quite a sight for me to witness at a young age) and we tossed the whole deer in the back of the '72 Ford wagon. Gutted it at home in the garage on Christmas day. My mother (for sure) will never forget that adventure - she was somewhat appalled that 'THIS was how we spent Christmas day'.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. I think having Classic Cruisers in Salida work on it would be your closest/best bet. I'm pretty sure they do this kind of repair, and you might be able to chip in some personal $$ and get more of the truck painted, as needed.
Best Christmas Story I’ve heard yet!

Thanks Hojak, I like the look of the stock bumper but with the $1700-500 deductible I got from the insurance I could buy an ARB!

I called Robbie today - who people around here know as the landcruiser guru. He recommended a guy in Longmont that he has seen do good work on a 60. He says they are getting far and few between anymore. Anyway, just got back from taking it to him Mike's Auto Body and Paint for an estimate. I gave him Classic Cruisers info down in Poncha Springs to try to find parts and he's going to write up something. He agrees the hood was damaged also, so he's going to see about getting a new one or fixing it, but he said insurance companies are notoriously cheap so they'll want to go with whatever is cheapest, he's thinking if CC has a hood, valence, bumper, right side light cover, he can strip and paint cheaper than fixing mine. I'm hoping he has to fix mine, I don't want some other car parts on my girl.

SteveH that sounds memorable! Christo had recommended Classic Cruisers as an option. I'd hate to drive all the way down there but if they are a better shop my insurance did say I could have it towed (flatbed) there. That's a great idea about paint. I"m not sure how well anyone will be able to match the fenders, and the paint is crappy Maaco from 15 years ago. I've been wanting to fix the rust and re-paint but it's sooooo expensive. I need to learn to do it myself.

SteveH that sounds memorable! Christo had recommended Classic Cruisers as an option. I'd hate to drive all the way down there but if they are a better shop my insurance did say I could have it towed (flatbed) there. That's a great idea about paint. I"m not sure how well anyone will be able to match the fenders, and the paint is crappy Maaco from 15 years ago. I've been wanting to fix the rust and re-paint but it's sooooo expensive. I need to learn to do it myself.

That local shop is a wuss. I'd be surprised if USAA went cheap on your solution (a specialty shop) given their "approved" shop wussed out on you (if I understand correctly that USAA is your insurer). Daughter just had a deer encounter six weeks ago; missed the deer, but not the tree. Totaled her 2016 Rogue, and USAA paid off the loan balance plus enough for a down payment on a replacement. But the trouble I had with USAA before I restored our 62 was that its insurable value was under $1K. Your deer encounter would have totaled mine...before I restored it and registered/insured it as a collector.

It's kind of another case for some of our older Cruisers to be registered and insured as collectors so that there is no haggling over the value. Of course, if it's still a daily or frequent driver, then that won't work.

I would at least call Redline Land Cruisers and Profitts Resurrection and see if they work on insurance claims. I had a good experience with Caropractor out by the airport last year but that was on a newer car with hail damage. My dad has used Auto Image in Castle Rock with good success, but not sure how the older vehicle would affect that.

@Hojack i wish. I’m originally from Michigan and if anyone got a deer and didn’t pick it up, the very next person did! Not so much here in Colo. I don’t think it’s legal here but I should check in case it happens again!

@SteveH thanks for the good info. I didn’t think about the radiator shell maybe getting tweaked. I am considering fixing it myself but it’d be a half assed job. I’m not patient enough to make things perfect. If I don’t hear from anyone on Mud recommending a shop in Denver I’ll probably take it to a guy Christo from Slee recommended but the dude is in Grand Junction or the junk yard guys down in Salida. I don’t really want to travel that far but might do it to get it fixed right. My insurance is USAA and they seemed amenable to having a classic specialty shop work on it. I mean that’s why I have full coverage on my baby, so I want to use it.

Slee off-road in Golden or Adventure Off-road in Boulder will be able to help or send you the right way.

Yep, talked to both. Christo at Slee and Robbie at Adventure - mentioned earlier in this thread. I haven’t heard back from the guy I went to that Robbie recommended. It was called Mike’s paint and body, he was the closest person to me. My brother came into town, so I put this aside for a week but it’s a good reminder to call the guy to see what’s up. I think I’ll take it to Denver sometime this week to this place Mile High Classics
Anyone heard of them before?

I like the idea of Redline, I had forgotten about them. Might be a little farther than I want to travel though but I’ll go to where the best work can be had.

@LCnAZ
I hope your daughter was okay! Super scary. It’s better when they jump and you never see them to swerve, at least in this case it was, maybe not for your daughter.

I had asked USAA about getting itinsured as a collector truck but they wanted to hand me off to a specialty insurance of some sort and if I remember right it was going to be a hassle and expensive. What was your experience getting your 62 correctly insured?I looked up KBB or some such and saw our cruisers going for between 11K and 28K iirc. So I figured if USAA uses that I’d be okay. What do you think?

I drove down to Mile High Classics this am and those guys treated my girl right, three guys came out to greet her and tell her how great she was and lavish praise on everything adorning her. Of course she said she wants them to touch her, not those other wuss guys from gerber.

Looks like you lucked out to me. If the hood closes OK and the light aligns properly I wouldn't bother with any repairs. Spend that money on a big bumper!

I really really doubt USAA will value an FJ60 anywhere near 11k and certainly not 28k without a lot of custom work done and receipts to back it all up. Better check your numbers again.

Gone down a little bit.

920BAFE1-C8CE-48D7-BCA8-7B85C8B18E97.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom