Deer valley and slick rock 6/13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BBCNN 06/13 and 06/14

Trail: Slick Rock - Deer Valley

June 13th and 14th. Meet at Hermit Valley campground on Highway 4 Friday night. Leave time 8:30 AM Saturday morning. Optional Saturday night camping at the 1st water crossing.

Description: The plan is to run Slick Rock as an out and back in the morning then do the lower section of Deer.
Deer Valley is a trail suited for mildly modified rigs, if you can make it past the gate keeper you should be fine for the rest of the trail. The top section of Deer Valley is closed so this part of the run is in and out. For those who want to there is a nice camping spot at the turn around as well as many others along the way.

Date: Saturday, 06/13

Leave Time: 0830

Meeting Location: Hermit Valley Campground off Hwy 4
Click here for Directions

Trail Difficulty:Mostly 1-2 some sections of Deer Valley 3
Optional camping on Friday and Saturday night for those who want.

Duration of Run: Sat.

Tread Lightly / 146.460

This is a good wheeling trip. Hope we can get a club run together. The camping alone is worth the trip. I'm doing it even if I do it by myself and Scuz. Would be better with all of you so lets plan your calenders accordingly.

I'm in for the most part... Slick Rock trail part. :steer: Not sure about camping Friday night or Saturday night. If I can make it Saturday night, I'll be sure to bring a fly rod.

I'm on FUGGIN CALL that whole weekend!!!! Grrrrrrrr

Ahhh dang it. Sorry you'll have to miss this one Kieth. I plan on camping friday night and possibly running Deer valley also on sat. PM. No camping for me on sat. night. If I have enough time I will do DV but it could make for a long day.

I talked to J. Mcbride and he is in for camping friday night and slickrock-probably not deer valley though. He did it last year and said it was mucho wheeling for one day.

So for sure we have three to run Slick Rock.......

Any others?? Post up so we can plan. Maybe form a meet in town for travel.

I love this area, particularly this time of year. Unfortunately I am on the hook to help a friend move on this weekend or I would be there. Have a great time guys and post up lots of pics.

Keith, Harry: too bad you cannot make it. Slick Rock is certainly one of the nicest 3.75 miles of trail around.

Hoping some others still might be able to join us....

Well alright--two of my friends--father and son with their mildly modified Rubicons are coming for the saturday wheeling. They have some experiance but need more before they go on the Jeepers jamboree on the Con. Should be a good group for this fun little trail. Now we have 5!

It was another great time on Slick Rock Road... We had Mark, John, and Paul in their FJ40s, John and Josh in the Jeeps, and me in my FJC. Paul and Josh had passengers. The FJ40s camped on Friday night and the Jeepers and I arrived before 8:30.

John had a borrowed HT so was able to put his newly acquired ham license to use. I loaned Mark my HT so he could listen in.

We got to the trailhead at Lake Alpine at about 9:15 and made it to stairs in a couple of hours. Paul, Mark and the jeeps when over the obstacle, with Paul and the Jeeps then exiting out via Utica Reservoir and Spicer Meadows Road. Mark came back down the obstacle and then run the trail back out to Lake Alpine with John and I. The three of got back to Lake Alpine at 1:15 or so, spent 15 minutes or so airing up, and caught up with Paul and his friend Sean at Hermit's Valley. We all enjoyed some cold ones and some snacks before going our separate ways.

No major carnage, at least to the Toyotas. Paul lot alternator power due to a loose cable... and broke a side marker on his passenger side tail light. Mark was a bit worried that his friend John might have torn up his Jeep's axle going up the stairs.

I made it home at 4:15... I personally didn't take photos.

Thanks for the report Kurt. It was a fun event. It was freakin cold friday night. Luckily we were able to have a fire as the restrictions are not on for that forest yet. We were able to scroung(John had an axe) for a rip roaring fire and then Paul showed up with his pellet stove bricks(neat invention) to suppliment our fast dwindling pile of sticks. Every one did pretty well on the trail with no carnage. Had to coach Jim a bit on the use of too much skinny pedal. He slammed up the staircase like a banshee. He is a dirt biker and as you know more gas to get you over something is the norm. Looking forward to another wheeling adventure with the Battle Born Bros.
Paul and his friend Sean showing up late friday was fun.

Yessirs, glad I could make it happen despite losing the brake booster vacuum grommet at the end of the driveway. The alternator charging issue turned out to be nothing, bounced a wire off but that was about the worst.

Mark, here are the Repose Fire Logs info, not a big budget website - I have the "deluxe" set ($50) but only pulled out 2 of the larger logs: http://www.reposewoodpelletfirelogs.com/
They do work surprisingly well, burns clean and doesn't spark. Throw a can of chili right on top and there ya go. Just don't get your pellets wet.

John, I'll bring the PPG high build primer and catalyst to the next meeting, or you can pick it up whenever but I think you'll have a couple weeks of sanding. I would consider a needle scaler and flat line sander in addition to the Dual Action Orbital Sander. Luckily, Zolatone is forgiving and you don't have multiple paint jobs to erase.

Kurt, appreciate your help with my Yaesu, I need to spend a little quality manual time with my new radio. However, I'm tickled it worked well and the Slickrock trip showed up on aprs.fi. My aprs doesn't work so well around town and I'm not sure why.

Sean did take a couple of pix and when I can find wherever on the cloud they went I'll post up.

Deer Valley is open? I thought that whole thing was closed. How far can you take the trail in before you have to turn around?

The portion in the Eldorado National Forest closed in 2012 remains closed. The portion not in Eldorado National Forest and not closed in 2012 remains open. That is, status quo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom