Builds Deer Slayer - KCJAZ's Build/Re-Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I've learned a lot from others here on Mud and a lot of it from the build threads. Though not done, I think I have got to the point now where I can call my 200 "built." so here is my build thread:

Background:
I had owned a pair of FJ60's in the '90s and spent time and money building one of them with a Chevy 350 conversion but with young kids and a job that included travel I just didn't have time or garage space to build a LC so I sold both of them and bought a Tahoe. Sad but the Tahoe was a great family rig that towed our boat, hauled kids, didn't require daily tinkering and my wife would drive it. Drove the Tahoe for about 12 years and 200K with no major issues. It was a great truck and really was more reliable than my Chevota FJ60. While the Tahoe served our needs, I always wanted another LC. but they just always seemed too expensive to justify.

In 2015, I stumbled on a one owner 2013 200 (typical soccer mom trade in) that was a pretty good deal and I also had the cash to do it. I kept the LC stock and used it as my daily driver until one day in November 2018. On our way back from out lake cabin, a deer jumped out of the center median and I nailed it doing 70 mph. I was able to pull over in a controlled manner and while the deer had done a number to the front end I wasn't loosing coolant and I was able to drive a couple miles to the next exit and get to a gas station. What I didn't realize at the time was that while I wasn't loosing coolant, the tranny cooler was cracked and while I drove to the next exit, I was bleeding transition fluid. The long story short is that insurance covered the $25K in repairs and, as the front body parts were all being replaced, I was able to put on a TJM T13 instead of the OEM as part of the repairs. That started my build. About a year later, I hit a second deer with the T13 and it did no damage. After that, I dubbed my rig "Deer Slayer".

In March of 2019, I added sliders after I tore up one of the stock steps and in March of 2020, in prep for my first LCDC, I added BP51, ICON 17" wheels and 285/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. After that first LCDC, I was hooked and steadily have built my rig based on things I've seen on other's rigs and things I decided I "needed" as I keep learning what is possible with the 200 platform. Below is my current build summary:

Current Build Summary
2013 Land Cruiser

Color: Black, tan interior
Odometer: 174,000 miles

Fluids:
  • Engine Oil: Mobil 1 0w-20 Full Synthetic Extended Performance
  • Diffs/TC: Mobil 1 75w-90
  • Transmission: Toyota OEM
  • Power Steering: Toyota OEM
  • Brake Fluid: Toyota OEM
  • Coolant: Toyota OEM
Exterior/Armor/General Mods:
  • TJM T13 Front Bumper
    • TJM T13 fog light kit
    • Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum Winch w/ relo’d remote control box on Slee passenger side accessory plate.
    • Factor 55 fairlead.
    • Front camera relo
  • Dissent Rear Bumper with dual swingouts
    • Spare tire High Lift bracket
    • Custom accessory mount for Roam 55L case (used for recovery gear, tools, air up/down kit)
    • Rear Camera relo
  • Slee Rock Sliders
  • Budbuilt full 3/16” stainless steel skids including OEM fuel tank skid
  • Budbuilt custum fill plate between Budbuilt Skids and T13 Front Bumper
  • Rear lower control arm skids from @turbo8
  • @TRAIL TAILOR RLCA bracket skids
  • BudBuilt lower shock mount gaurds
  • ARB twin compressor mounted on Slee driver’s side compressor plate
  • Custom MaxTrax roof rack holder for OEM roof rack
    • Kaon MaxTrax Extreme Mounts and 4 MaxTrax Extreme recovery boards
  • Fabulous Fabrications SS snorkel power coated black
  • Diff breathers relo’s to engine bay
  • 24 gal LRA
  • Exhaust Resonator delete
Lighting
  • Phillips Xeon X-TremeVision Replacement bulbs in for OEM Low-Beam
  • Phillips 9011 HIR in for OEM High Beams
Wiring/Electrical/Radio:
  • X2 Power Dual-Purpose (Starting/Deep Cycle) AGM for starting battery (not installed yet)
  • EC Offroad Tesla Style head unit
  • WeBoost cell booster
  • Yaesu FTM-400DXR
    • Control unit mounted on Gamiviti dash speaker cover
    • Diamond Black, NMO, Dual-Band, 2m, 70cm, 100 W, 33.5 in
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension/Axels:
  • 5x ICON Six Speed Wheels (+25mm offset)
  • 5x 285/75/R17 K02s
  • SPC Upper Control Arms
  • OME BP-51 suspension with 2724 Rear
  • Nitro Gears 4.88
  • ARB Air Lockers front and rear (in cab compressor switch and 80 series rotary locker switch)
  • Panhard Correction Bracket from @eimkeith
Interior:
  • Gamiviti dash speaker cover with ram mounts for cell phone, Yeasu, GoPro (DJI Action 2), ect
  • 80 series diff locker switch/panel from @cruiseroutfit and relo’d CDL and VSC switches to 80 series panel (right side of steering column)
  • Added switch for air compressor OEM left side switch panel where CDL switch was
  • Added LRA level/pump switch in left side OEM panel where VSC switch was.
  • WeatherTech Floor Mats
  • Kaon MOLLE small panels
  • Kaon Shelf
  • Element Fire extinguishers clip mounted on driver and passenger door sills
  • Victory 4x4 center console molle panels
  • My Medic MyFak Pro first aid kit (mounted on Kaon shelf)
Planned Upgrades:
  • STEDI Type-X Pro Spots
  • Add ditch lights (CBI brackets TDB lights)
  • Timbren Active-Offroad Bumpstops
  • Add mounting bracket to swing out for 10lb propane bottle
  • Add MaxTrax spare tire mount
  • DYI drawer system with Dometic Drawer fridge based on Overland Bound 80 series design.
  • Roof rack and awning (both TBD)
  • Interior lighting upgrade
  • Cruiser Outfitters interior rear hatch release

Last edited:
Links to my threads related to my build:

Last edited:
Added Timbren bump stops;
E9FE7DF4-23B9-46E9-992D-2B7FA2951393.jpeg
F3759DBC-B079-49B8-BC57-382F93E95E91.jpeg

Got the rig all ready for our club’s annual spring trek down to Arkansas to run the High Water Mark trail and this happened:

I’ve been LC-less since May, and did LCDC in my Taco. After taking a very long circular ride with insurance (chronicled in link above), I bought the replacement 200 last week:

IMG_3251.jpeg

Went around in my own circles deciding which way to go.

Thanks those who offered opinions, suggestions, and support. This community is a special place.

This is now a rebuild thread.

Working on the plan now and hopefully will get some help with the rebuild. More on that to come.

Started the first swap-a-roo, and pulled out the Tesla head unit and OEM radio from the new 200.
IMG_3266.jpeg

IMG_3268.jpeg

It was kinda fun but also sad as I recalled all of the countless hours I spent on all of the mods and getting it all dialed in and now start thinking of the quantum of work ahead. I’ll have to get better at just taking each thing one at a time. Will install Tesla unit in new 200 tomorrow.

Got the Telsa unit installed and running on the 2015 and the original HU back in the 2013. Had a few self inflicted issues with harness connectors not fully seated and one missed connecter when I put the OEM HU back in the 2013 but all good now. Also got the ARB compressor and Warm winch and wiring harness pulled off. Started to pull of TJM winch cradle but there are two long threaded rods that I need an extra deep socket to get the nuts off. Order from Amazon and will get Tuesday.

The Plan:

Currently planning on getting some help by a local club member who has a two bay shop with two lifts. The idea is having both trucks in the shop and getting 3 or 4 guys swapping parts. I am planning on swapping the transmissions and Transfer cases. I wouldn't do this except that my transmission that is on the 2013 only has 50K miles on it and I've put all of them on it and, (big and here), with the trucks on side by side lifts and a team of guys who know what they are doing, this shouldn't be that hard. As long as I'm doing that I might as well swap the transfer cases. Again, I know my service history of the transfer and there are no records on the 2015 transfer ever being serviced.

Here's the "to do" list:

Mod/componentSwap/NewOff 2013On 2015
Front Diffswap
Rear Diffswap
Diff breather extensionsswap
Transmission/Transferswap
Aux Tankswap
Aux Tank pump and guage wiringswap xx
OME BP-51 struts and rear shocksswapx
Rear 2724 springsswap
TJM Front bumper & winchswapx
Paint outer bumperNew
Winchswapx
Winch cradle & inner supportswapx
Slee accessory mountswapx
Winch wiring control box reloswapx
Outer bumper barswapx
Bumper light wiring and camera reloNew
Dissent Off Road Rear bumperswap
Center sectionswap
Left/Right wingsswap
Swing outsswapx
Light wiring (prefab harness)New
Fab new Roam Box trayNew
Slee rock slidersswap
Pan Hard BracketNew
Timbren Bump Stopsswap
RLCA mount guardsswap
Bud Built rear lower shock guardsswapx
ARB CompressorSwapxx
Slee compressor traySwapx x
CompressorSwapxx
Compressor / locker wiringSwapxx
Comp switch, CDL & VSC switch reloSwapxX
EC Off Road Head/Navigation Unitswapxx
Kaon shelfswapx
Bud Built stainless steel skid plate systemswap
Bumper transition pieceswapx
Frontswapx
Engineswapx
Transferswap
Fuel Tankswap
SnorkelnewNA
Weboostswapx
Yaesu ham radioswapxx
Victory 4x4 molle panelsswap
ICON Six Speed Alloy Wheelsswap
Resonator chopnew
Engine Baseline Components
Oil filter housing and drain plug valveSwap
Radiatorswap
hosesswap
Serpinetine beltnew?
belt tensionerswap
water pumpswap
water pump gasketnew
fan bracketswap
Thermostat Unitswap
Thermostat Gasketnew
Idler pulleyswap
power steering pumpswap
alternatorswap
starternew
Exhaust manifold parts for starternew
heater teesnew
PCVnew
Spark plugsnew
#8 coil packswap

Last edited:
Curious what you’ll do different this time around! Anything you reconsidering?
No not really planning anything much different. I like the look of some of the newer front bumper options now but my old TJM has saved the day multiple times. Even though I totaled my rig landing in the trees, the TJM saved the front and I was able to drive it home.

The thing I may reconsider is the snorkel. I liked the look of the Fabulous Fabrications snorkel and originally liked it being stainless steel tether than plastic but any side impact to it multiplies the damage. What might have been just a smashed fender ripped the A Pilar and broke the airbox mounts.

Chipped away today. Transferred LRA, compressor, and locker switch harnesses and power wire for ham radio. Also prepped the 2015 for ARB compressor install tomorrow (transferred Slee air pump relay bracket.

Got interrupted by a hail storm. We have 4 vehicles. Of course the one that is already totaled is in the garage on jack stands and the open bay full of tools and parts so 3 of 4 sit in driveway as I watch hail pelt them.

IMG_3286.jpeg

Thankfully just large pea size. No damage but will inspect closer tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just received my replacement snorkel from Fabulous Fabrications. They did custom lettering for me on the inlet screen and were great to work with (again). I had TOYOTA before but had them do this this time:
IMG_3296.jpeg

They even humored me by letting me scale the vector image to the same inlet area as I had before. Initially they had the Teq larger. I know some like to debate air flow and snorkels. I’ve convinced myself that for this snorkel, it doesn’t make any practical engine performance difference.

Just chipping away at moving some stuff over to the 2015. Finished ARB compressor, moved all my switches, Ham radio install, tidied up wiring, and buttoned up dash.

IMG_3303.jpeg
IMG_3304.jpeg
IMG_3305.jpeg

Subscribed. Bummer you are having to redo everything but on the bright side everything should be easier this go around. I always think after I finish installing something "that would be a lot easier to do now that I know what I'm doing" lol.

"that would be a lot easier to do now that I know what I'm doing" lol.
^^^ Plenty of that for me for sure but also some “I wish this was just done” as I recall all the time it took the first time.

My 200 got caught out in those three rounds of hail too. Waited a few hours in the morning and the first round of storms petered out and were barely a sprinkle so I thought the rest of the day would be clearing up. Nope! 4Runner taking up the whole garage on jack stands and had to pile blankets on the cruiser. Still haven’t found any damage so I think we got lucky! Storms could sense all the vulnerable cruisers for sure.

Touch up painted TJM bumper and removed OEM bumper on 2015. Plan for tomorrow is installing inner supports and winch cradle and winch. Outer bumper depends on paint drying.

I misunderstood TJM instructions and fussed with each parking sensor trying to disconnect them so I could remove the plastic but all you need to do is disconnect the harness connector under the fan.

IMG_3307.jpeg

Finally got the two rigs into the shop and started the major parts swapping. With 5 guys (including me) we made good progress today.

Day 1:
  1. Dropped both trannys/transfers, swapped and got one tranny/transfer reinstalled. This includes removing and reinstalling starters as that is necessary to get to bell housing bolts.
  2. Rear main seal on new 200
  3. Dropped rear axles for swap (doing this rather than just third members to retain my gears/lockers.
  4. Swapped front UCAs
  5. Removed Slee siders from wreck
  6. Removed new 200 running boards and swapped back onto wreck.
  7. Removed gas tank and transfer skid from wreck
  8. Started LRA uninstall and prepped new rig for LRA install (removed spare tire carrier and cut OEM brackets off).
  9. Removed Dissent rear bumper wings
  10. Chopped resonator
IMG_3405.jpeg
IMG_3414.jpeg
IMG_3412.jpeg
IMG_3417.jpeg
IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_3418.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg

Caption for that last photo… “wait which one came out of which truck?”

Finally got the two rigs into the shop and started the major parts swapping. With 5 guys (including me) we made good progress today.

Day 1:
  1. Dropped both trannys/transfers, swapped and got one tranny/transfer reinstalled. This includes removing and reinstalling starters as that is necessary to get to bell housing bolts.
  2. Rear main seal on new 200
  3. Dropped rear axles for swap (doing this rather than just third members to retain my gears/lockers.
  4. Swapped front UCAs
  5. Removed Slee siders from wreck
  6. Removed new 200 running boards and swapped back onto wreck.
  7. Removed gas tank and transfer skid from wreck
  8. Started LRA uninstall and prepped new rig for LRA install (removed spare tire carrier and cut OEM brackets off).
  9. Removed Dissent rear bumper wings
  10. Chopped resonator

Your personal shop??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom