Deep Throat...not the movie.

Bit on NPR today got me going. Persons who served prison-time for obstruction of justice in the Watergate robberies reflecting back.

Me, Hero.

Yes, I am old enough to remember watching the Senate hearings. :flipoff2:

Yes, I am old enough to remember watching the Senate hearings. :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

All week long, all three channels, all we had was a B/W tv 6th grade, the only thing I can remember about that summer was those damn hearings!

mallred said:
All week long, all three channels, all we had was a B/W tv 6th grade, the only thing I can remember about that summer was those damn hearings!

It is fun to watch them now. Those guys were going at each other in the most polite ways. :popcorn:

Hero and a traitor? He blew the whistle on some underhanded folks = good. He did his share of illegal stuff along the way as well. Took some nerve to expose what he did. Would he have done it if he hadn't been passed over for the top spot in the FBI? Should he have done it officially instead of leaking to the press?

It's not a black and white case of good guy vs bad guys.

Jman

Do you think he got his nickname changed from "My Friend" to "Deep Throat" because someone in the Nixon administration kept referring to him as a cawksucker? :rolleyes:

Hero. Some say he did it out of spite because he was not chosen to head the FBI, but even so, good job. Amazing he kept his trap shut so long, too. :D

My Friend = MF = Mark Felt

Yeah, I remember the hearings--green felt tables, if I remember correctly, reminded me of pool tables. :D

bluto

So. Do you want dilaudid IVP or oxycodone tab?
SILVER Star

This is 30 something years ago. Makes me wonder why this is news. Read in the internet that Felt was on trial during the 70s for authorizing illegal break ins on radical groups. Tricky Dick, according to the article, testified on his behalf - therefore letting him off the hook. So, if this is true, who is the traitor? :confused: The techniques used by CREEP (commitee for reelection of the president) being used today by both parties? Edit: BTW, I can see the angle on why Dick did it - I cover your ass you cover mind. Seems to be all politicians are in for themselves - MOP.

Think about this...

Linda Tripp: went and leaked out info on illegal activities performed by Bill Clinton. She's a traitor.

Mark Felt: went out and leaked out info on illegal activities performed by Dick Nixon. He's a hero.

I would not say he's either... but he is a little bit of both.

It is all politics, and as such it is all dirty. Ih8politics... but mostly politicians.

How wrong we can be. There had been a great deal of speculation, that Fred Fielding, the former assistant and deputy Cousel to the POTUS during the Nixon Admin., was in fact Deep Throat. This was propagated by a group from the University of Illinois at Champaigne Urbana, and they made a good arguement. http://deepthroatuncovered.com/index.html if anyone's interested.

Here's Bob Woodward's article. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/01/AR2005060102124.html

It's hard to ascribe "hero" or "traitor" status to MF. But rather, what I will say, and perhaps the reason I feel this is extremely important after all these years, is that for our version of a working democracy to exist, the first amendment is of absolute and paramount importance.

To me, Mark Felt executed a precisely crafted political assassination of the Nixon Administration. His methodology was ideological, and his "goon squad" was Woodward and Bernstein. First to lure his target, Nixon et al, out into the open using the mechanism of press. Then, allow the remedies provided for by the Constitution to carry out the act.

If Woodward's interpretations are true, then IMO, Mark Felt's enemies were the corruption and "sinister" machinations of the Nixon Administration. He characterized one of Nixon's aides as a "gauleiter". Perhaps, the NA did in some ways resemble the Nazi's. I still remember Nixon's famous wave before boarding Air Force One and saying to myself, "...that arm motion sure reminds me alot of the Nazi's heil Hitler". Truly, I don't know what went on behind those doors, but I would venture to say Felt did.

These days many of us, myself included, consider the press as nothing more than a shill for corporations. In so many ways, this has proven true. Yet, I still consider myself lucky to live in a country where, for the most part, journalists don't mysteriously disappear, polititians aren't poisoned,
and injustices and scandals are front page stories, even if it's to our own embarrassment.

wob

I voted traitor, but I don't really think he was one. But he sure as sh!t wasn't a hero.

He got involved in politics - that rarely works for me in favor of calling someone a hero.

Jman

masscrusher said:
Linda Tripp: went and leaked out info on illegal activities performed by Bill Clinton. She's a traitor.

Mark Felt: went out and leaked out info on illegal activities performed by Dick Nixon. He's a hero.

I would not say he's either... but he is a little bit of both.

It is all politics, and as such it is all dirty. Ih8politics... but mostly politicians.
LOL, I voted for Clinton, twice, but I wouldn't call Linda Tripp a traitor--her biggest crime was she was so fawking ugly. :D

Jwest:

Very interesting and well put.

I think the use of the press at the time was important. The press had changed American’s mind about Vietnam after Tet. I am sure MF was in many meetings where the NA wanted to shape the media in their favor.

The journalist of today do not have the power of the past, mostly of their own doing.

bluto

So. Do you want dilaudid IVP or oxycodone tab?
SILVER Star

Maybe back then the media was more objective in their reporting. Nowadays, I am more skeptical. It seems like they have an agenda to bring down an administration whether there are facts or not. As to call somebody a hero when they hid for decades and resurface when they are close to death so as not to face charges (I am not a lawyer OK)- the word hero is cheapened. Sounds like a coward. I also H8 politicians. Looking for a leader.

Gumby

Supamod
Staff member
s-Moderator

Shhhh. Don't tell anybody it was me using my supermod powers for evil, but I just figured out how to change Avatars. Go look at Junk now. :D

Gumby said:
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody it was me using my supermod powers for evil, but I just figured out how to change Avatars. Go look at Junk now. :D

LMFnAO :D

You're going to catch He!! for that one - that or you'll pull another dark side jedi mod trick and all will be patched.

Top Bottom