Dedicated "tool" set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Besides a 10,12,14,17,19mm a ratchet, same sizes in wrenches and a flat head/Phillips, couple pliers.....what else would you put in a roll up tool bag for the 100 series?

In addition to what you mentioned, I’ve also got extensions, swivels, breaker bar, zip ties, ball peen hammer, tire plug kit and OBD II code reader. I’m sure there are a couple other things I’ve forgotten squirreled away in there too.

In addition to what you mentioned, I’ve also got extensions, swivels, breaker bar, zip ties, ball peen hammer, tire plug kit and OBD II code reader. I’m sure there are a couple other things I’ve forgotten squirreled away in there too.

Plug kit and obd reader in there already. I just want to not have 40lbs of tools.

Thanks for the swivel and breaker bar idea

Plug kit and obd reader in there already. I just want to not have 40lbs of tools.

Thanks for the swivel and breaker bar idea

I’d say my tool bag comes in at close to 40lbs. :doh: I forgot to mention I’ve got jumper cables too. I keep it all locked in one of my cargo drawers. Definitely easy to get carried away and end up carrying too much stuff!

I’d say my tool bag comes in at close to 40lbs. :doh: I forgot to mention I’ve got jumper cables too. I keep it all locked in one of my cargo drawers. Definitely easy to get carried away and end up carrying too much stuff!

Agreed 100%

Unfortunately I'm part of the ""have it and not need vs need it and not have it" crowd

Besides a 10,12,14,17,19mm a ratchet, same sizes in wrenches and a flat head/Phillips, couple pliers.....what else would you put in a roll up tool bag for the 100 series?
22mm, 24mm for other suspension components, large adjustable wrench, lotta zip ties, hose clamps??, flex head** ratchet. At least 1 extension, brass drift

heres whats in my truck tool kit:
Dont mind the prices, i just bought everything separately on ebay and was keeping track of my spending.

---------LX470 tool kit-----------------
heavy duty wire
Duct Tape
Sandpaper, 150, 200, 400
2 foot Fuel line
assortment of hose clamps large and small
Small torx/hex key set
Landcruiser Specific : Fuses, relays, fusible link
Craftsman ratchet +socket set $118 (USA made)
Extra 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets $23 (USA made)
set of 3/8 deep wells $23 (USA made)
set of 1/2 inch sockets $32 (USA made)
set of 1/2 inch socket extensions $8
craftsman combination wrench set 1 $30
craftsman combination wrench set 2 $42 (USA made)
2 set screwdrivers Phillips/flathead $17 (USA made)
2 pairs vice grips $8, $15 (USA made)
2 pairs needle nose w/ wire cutter $20 (USA made)
2 sets large pliers - 10 to 12' slip joint $28 (USA made)
4 adjustable wrenches, diff sizes $12
heavy duty wire Tractor Supply $4
zip ties $0
small tool bag $33
2 pair gloves $18
small torx/hex key set X2 (harbor freight) $8
spark plug socket (one 1/2 drive

In addition to the above suggestion:
Wire strippers
some primary wire and maybe crimp connectors
electrical tape
small nut and bolt assortment
spare serpentine belt

and you'll think I'm nuts, but one spare wiper blade.......you'll thank me when you need it and you have it, LOL.

I use Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) drivers instead of Phillips. We give away a set of Vessel JIS drivers each month to the most active member at our local Facebook club..

1710482078377.png

1710482171304.png

Vessel makes Toyota drivers.

1710482209930.png

1710482388146.png

Did you forget the recovery gear? That's another 50lbs of stuff. Or winch... Lol 50lbs my itself.

Tow straps 30000lbs+ rated x 2
Soft shackles 36000lbs+ rated x 3 or more
Good and long Jumper cables 30ft 2 gauge copper (preferred)
LiIon battery starter pack
Hitch recovery anchor
Portable Winch 15klbs - 75ft Synthetic rope (preferred)
Shovel
20ton Bottle jack
Some other stuff I am forgetting that I have.

This stuff probably weighs 120lbs or more by itself in total

100% on the JIS screwdrivers, that was a game-changer for me. Also agree on carrying enough socket extensions.

A few additional recommendations from my own tool kit:

1. A brass drift to use on cone washers
2. A strap wrench
3. a small extractor kit

While I am a true believer in having something than not having something I think it does depend on where you are traveling and what other means do you have.
Are you a DIY guy or pay someone else to fix? If DIY you carry more if pay your way then carry less

Are you "off grid" or far enough out and there is no other way to fix other than what you brought? If so, then you will want quite the "garage" with you.

If only traveling where AAA can help then smaller amount needed.

While I am a true believer in having something than not having something I think it does depend on where you are traveling and what other means do you have.
Are you a DIY guy or pay someone else to fix? If DIY you carry more if pay your way then carry less

Are you "off grid" or far enough out and there is no other way to fix other than what you brought? If so, then you will want quite the "garage" with you.

If only traveling where AAA can help then smaller amount needed.

Outer Banks....specifically Frisco and Ocracoke

Yes, I can turn a wrench

It's only too much until the first time that you need it. My roll is also 40 lbs, but I don't think that it could possibly hurt my gas mileage. 😂

Beside the stuff mentioned I'm also carrying some grease and WD40 (WD40 also helps on campground to get rid of the squeaking on metal door foodlockers ^^).

Going more heavily wheeling I'm carrying some spare parts like tie rods end (recovery is hard without steering...), a used CV axle, spark plugs, 1 coil, ...

Hose Pinch off tool
Water Weld / JB Weld
Bailing wire, large/small Zip Ties, Various Size hose clamps
Double barb hose connector in various sizes
Extra rubber hoses
Rescue Tape (Self fusing silicone tape)
Fluid/oil syphon
Something collect, contain oil/fluid plus funnel
ATF & Oil (can be used for most fluids in emergency)
Mat to lay on over the hot rocks/ground. Reduce lost fasteners/tools.
Breakerbar / Hi-lift handle or impact gun
Pry bar
FIPG
Extra nuts bolts of varying sizes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom