1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decision Time

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Eternal, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Eternal

Eternal

So I think that the conclusion is

70 fj40
    4.3L
    700R4
    toy axles
    SUA with 4" lift
    4 wheel disc
    power steer
    35's

Is there any problem with 4 wheel discs and manual master(no power booster)?
    I know I have to change the master and add propotioning valve but is it gonna bust my foot trying to stop?

Is 4" enough to stop rubbing?

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

Some trimming and/or shackles and you're in business.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    When you hit overdrive with the 4:11's, this thing is going to fall on its face with 35's...

I had a '95 TBI 4.3/700R4/4.11/ 31" tires in an 84 standard cab Toy 4x4 pickup, was great in the first three gears, but the OD dropped the engine out of its power curve, unless I was doing 70+ MPH...

Just another thought..

I would go 4.88 gears with the 35's for sure...

Good luck!

-Steve

4. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I'm real happy with 33's w/o Power Steering. I'm think about getting an HEI electronic Ignition. Just my thoughts!

ken

5. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=10587;start=msg99107#msg99107 date=1075921240]
    I'm real happy with 33's w/o Power Steering. I'm think about getting an HEI electronic Ignition. Just my thoughts!

ken
    [/quote]

The HEI will be a good upgrade. You are not comparing apples to apples with the 33's and 4.11 suggestion tho..

A 700R4 overdrive auto has a .70 or .75 overdrive, which would drop the 4.11 ratio to the 2.80-3.08 range, which would be a horrible combo with a 35" tall tire...

That 4.3 will not have enough power to make that truck go down the road in OD..

Hell, a 4.88 would be dropped to 3.66, and would still not be that great...

-Steve

6. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    This sounds like a nice combo. I believe my next 40 will likely be a 4.3L (or a 6.5L turbodiesel ... depends on the mood). Can I ask why you're not wanting/planning to use a booster? Seems for all that trouble of building it AND having large rubber that power brakes would be the way to go.

Rice

7. 78 One owner

78 One owner

I'm running 33s with +4" SUA and can touch the fenders under extreme articulation. If you are going with 35s you'll have a bit of trimming to do or shackles or both. I'll be trimming soon and probably a spring flip. Also plan on trimming running board area and doing sliders. Stuffed a running board last time out. Time for more ground clearance. I was happy with my +4 SUA till I tried to follow hammerheads line through the boulders in Manera Wash. Aside from the crunched the running board I stuffed the muffler so hard it snapped off my ramhorn exhaust manifold. Need more lift everywhere and maybe some more underbelly protection. I'll pick my own line in the future instead of tailgating that nut through the fun stuff.
    ;)

8. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    The 4.3 chev V6 does not have the low rpm grunt available to it, like a F or 2F, or even a V8, so dropping the engine rpms below 1200, and expecting it to move the truck down the road with 35's and effectivly a 3.08 gear is not a good idea...

-Steve

9. hammerhead

hammerhead

[quote author=78 One owner link=board=1;threadid=10587;start=msg99131#msg99131 date=1075923941]
    I'll pick my own line in the future instead of tailgating that nut through the fun stuff.[/quote]
    Hey, I resemble that statement. ;)

10. Eternal

Eternal

So Steve if I read you correct you are saying that in OD the thing is going to suck. Now I am used to top speed of 55mph as it sits now with the 3 speed. You said yours ran good in the 3 spds. I am not worried about ripping up the streets I just want to make sure I have a good combo for low end. It's going into the garage(as soon as I clean it) to start on the process. My brakes froze and burst, 3 wheel cylinder leak, and master cylinder needs to be rebuilt so I think it is a good time to start.

What about leavin my 3 spd in and just adapting to the 4.3?

11. hammerhead

hammerhead

Toss the stock tranny and go with your original plan. Use the stock t-case if you want. If it turns out to be geared too high then you can do something about that later. Ring and pinion can be done anytime. If you've been scared out of using the 700R just think about the crap gear ratio that comes in the stock 3spd. The 700R will kick it's butt.

12. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Much of what you'll end up with will depend on engine build. Build it to develop some strong low end torque and I think you'll find it not only delivers but give ok mileage to boot. The standard 4.3L from factory put out 160-165 HP and 235 ft lb or torque. If you can find the "enhanced" version it had 200HP and 260 ft lb. I think the 2f was about 210 ft lb. At 65 mph and 0.70 overdrive on 35" tires you'll turn right at 1800 RPM. Drop down to 33" tires and you'll turn 1900 RPM, but more important you'd drop a lot of rotational inertia. You won't have a dragster, but then you weren't expecting one. Keep the 4.3/700R plan.