Decision Time - New Engine or Sell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Previous advice to members who experience this nightmare. Stop. Take a breath. Mechanics understand head gasket issues but most don’t understand the overbuilt engine. They see hundreds of thousands of miles and think the truck is dead. The disposable culture we resist is why I drive land Cruisers. Now if it hydro locked and bent everything, I may gave to eat my words

Totally agree with this. Don't rush into a decision. Understand your options. Especially if it's your baby.

You don't say he many miles your baby has on it?

My experience with Toyota 6 cylinder engines, at around 150-200k miles, the bottom end has been in sound condition.
Cross hatching still visible in the bores. New seals, bearings etc and they are good to go.

I've not heard good things about cruiser solutions.
Given the specious reputations of both vendors mentioned in thread, I'd take a hard look at getting a second or third opinion if you have the option wherever you're at.

If it was an OTRAMM type shop giving guidance, then I'd know I have a bird in hand especially with a supposedly rust-free East Coast 80. A "remanufactured" 1FZ-FE sounds like a birdie or two in the bush to me. Ask a lot of questions dude. Buyer beware.

If it got coolant in the oil and was run that way it can cook the bearings but I would have someone that knows more about them check it out personally.

I live 20 minutes from these guys. I also know a great guy in RI that can probably take care of this for you for a lot less.

Contact me if you would like to talk about it.
Trust this guy, just my two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom