Decision Made With Rusty Roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This legendary 60 lives in St Pete, not too far from you, if you need inspiration.

DSCN2831bb.jpg

200.gif

There was a walk around video floating around here of a white 60 that had been chopped and roll caged. Was definitely not a garage sawzall job, very well done, didn't like the sloped desert truck roll cage in back though.

Lol ya that’s my neighbor, actually just had him come check it out lol

Oh, you know Steve! In that case, do whatever he suggests. If he says it's repairable, then it's repairable.

Oh, you know Steve! In that case, do whatever he suggests. If he says it's repairable, then it's repairable.
Ya he’s going to show me how to patch weld it up. Lol everyone’s suggested it just needed another nudge I guess. Good news is the truck is all sealed up so at this point is preventative/ aesthetic welding. Though, the rain gutters I attempted to saw off are fairly rigid lol so I’ll hopefully be getting a mig welder here soon and slowly tackle it. In the meantime, I’m continuing the interior and doing some custom seat covers

Ya he’s going to show me how to patch weld it up. Lol everyone’s suggested it just needed another nudge I guess. Good news is the truck is all sealed up so at this point is preventative/ aesthetic welding. Though, the rain gutters I attempted to saw off are fairly rigid lol so I’ll hopefully be getting a mig welder here soon and slowly tackle it. In the meantime, I’m continuing the interior and doing some custom seat covers

You're in good hands with @FL cruiser
Make sure to provide him with lots of beer and french fry oil

Get a good rust converter for after the patch welding is done. I wish I’d gotten
a lot more aggressive in my rain gutters when I painted 12 yrs ago, and I live
in a rain forest. The quality of converters is far batter now than before.

Dont use por15. Lots of reports of rust coming through. It isnt a rust converter.

Dont use por15. Lots of reports of rust coming through. It isnt a rust converter.

i think POR-15 works well but people just don’t understand the prep work involved for it. you still have to clean the area and remove all the loose rust. It needs a pretty clean surface. But peopleseem to interpret it as if you just paint it over the rust and it magically heals.

but it’s also important to note that POR15 needs a top coat as the sun will damage it.

i think POR-15 works well but people just don’t understand the prep work involved for it. you still have to clean the area and remove all the loose rust. It needs a pretty clean surface. But peopleseem to interpret it as if you just paint it over the rust and it magically heals.

but it’s also important to note that POR15 needs a top coat as the sun will damage it.
Exactly....

I sold my can of POR15 for profit!!! Bought it, didn't use it, and sold it a year or 2 later when prices rose substantially for some reason. Made $5, yeah!!! Easiest $5 I ever made...

Welding and real repairs a can be lot easier without headliner in, so just something to be aware of down the line..I set fire to my headliner welding in a new roof patch :)
I made the same mistake with mine. Never again will I weld near insulation - it's just cotton scraps.

I do not like POR-15

It is a waste of money and it rust keeps on going under it. As far as prep goes I am actually well versed in prep and have painted in some capacity professionally in aviation on parts.

My take is you cut out rust, you sand blast rust, you treat it with a converter that changes it chemically, then you coat it will a good primer and paint. But don't bother with POR-15.

If you use a rust paint like tremclad or rust oleum, you can see it if still rusting.

Also most our rust comes from the inside out. Especially those roofs where it is bare metal between the skins.

Before a headline goes in, drill holes inside that can allow you to spray oil in to have it seep into the seams of the gutter. That will slow it down.

If it was my roof like that I would be tempted to make it a soft top, or cut the roof off and graft on new roof or some sort of pop top design.

This truck sold on BaT in February, rather than repair rain gutters they removed them. Gives the truck a more modern look, though I'm not sure I'm a fan .

1988_toyota_land_cruiser_fj62_158049881479ed5cb1de8eExterior9-620x413.jpg

But hey, it's another option. And I'm just going to leave this here:

290b74658d5eaea2ecafe6eed22d6bed.jpg

Lamborghini LM002 anyone?

@Gunner90 , awesome thread so far. We're in a similar situation.
Your cost-benefit analysis is sound. Invest first in mechanical, then cosmetic. Ol' pen and paper lists have really elucidated this for me time and time again...
...but I sure want that 38g gas tank haha.

Further, please keep us in the know about what you do for the rain gutter rot.
A quality 120v MIG welder, a 4 1/2" anglegrinder, and a flap wheel will be your best friend in these trying times... and.. time to start scrounging scrap bed frames and car parts off the street to practice/offend the missus.
I'm going to likely zap my roof holes as best I can, after a few bodyshop quotes, since I have done amateur welding enough to ride my own choppers. But; as @brownbear said, quality bodyshop-quality work for rust prevention is key where the innate design of a vehicle tends to create rust for vehicles.

You could cut off the roof and install a pop top.

THAT SAID: If you wanted, this really is the time to look into an amazing custom opportunity. A pop-top could be amazing. I don't know what scrapyards are like around you, but with some fabrication skills (and I KNOW Floridians can weld and build amazing stuff)... you could have a REAL unique vehicle. Further, the aluminum pop-top pickup truck camper game is getting pretty fever pitch... you could probably find a nice one on Expedition Portal or a local craigslist, 'adapt' it, and then weld in the framework to the top of your bodywork...
...here's some nudges / inspirado:
'Mud thread with a '62 Turned Pop Top
Urza Minor Vehicles (the folks who do the Honda Element poptops)
Gearhead Junkie article reviewing pop-tops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom