Decent non-OEM shock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well the shocks I ordered from CDan won't be here until Tuesday, and I've got to have my truck back together by Saturday night, so I need to go out and pick up a set. Since I obviously can't return shocks after they've been installed, even if it's only for a few days, I may as well get something I can leave on there for a while and just keep the OEM ones in reserve. So what's a decent aftermarket shock to get? I'm thinking just a basic set of Monroes would be good enough to get me by, but just wanted some opinions.

so, youv got a set of shocks in the mail/on the way...
your OEM shocks
AND you want to buy a 3rd set because you need your car for the 3 days till new set arrive...

i might be missing the point, but cant you use OEM until new set arrive?
that way your not buying a 3rd set for the heck of it

Kon said:
so, youv got a set of shocks in the mail/on the way...
your OEM shocks
AND you want to buy a 3rd set because you need your car for the 3 days till new set arrive...

i might be missing the point, but cant you use OEM until new set arrive?
that way your not buying a 3rd set for the heck of it

Well the trucks' getting the suspension redone this weekend, needing to be finished by Saturday night (shop's closed on Sunday), and then Monday I drive to Seattle to spend Christmas with my parents. Before pulling my old shocks off (which were cheapo aftermarket anyhoo), I had planned on just reusing them if the OEM shocks came late. Well the old shocks are completely annihilated. Won't expand on their own at all, and compress under their own weight :frown:

Forgot to add: I'll be gone until the 26th, and since I've got to spend money on an "emergency" set of shocks, I may as well keep 'em in for a while.

I had PO installed Monroes on my 62 before I went OME. The Monroes rode pretty good.

I've got monroe gas magnums on my 83 FJ60, and they're comparable to OEM and do a great job. I just painted them black to match the stock color. Price was comparable with OEM shock price. They also have a lifetime warranty.

Monrroe gas magnun is a great shock .. little hard for our aplications .. with hard spring pack litlle strong .. but is a good shock again.

Monroes work well, installed mine in july when I changed the spring bushings. I'm very happy with them!!

If I'm correct, you don't really need shocks to finishg the project. Your turck should be drivable without them. Just don't go crazy on the turns.

I drove without rear shocks for several months without a problem.

I replaced all for with OEM Toyota shocks. The work great and are much cheaper than any other brand like Monroe etc.

Spook50 said:
Well the old shocks are completely annihilated. Won't expand on their own at all, and compress under their own weight :frown:

Neither will the OEM shocks since they're just oil filled. They're not gas charged and behave pretty much the way you just described.

Regular ole' monroe sensatrac's will work pretty well in a pinch.

For a couple of months I thought my shocks had just gotten really bad really quickly. Then I took a look at the front ones and found out that piston had broken off of the eye on each one. The ride was pretty bouncy, but it didn't seem dangerous.

i've been riding without shocks about 2 years and no problems. they're the OEM but they'r waaaaaaaaaay to bad. i can't denied that it's a little bit dangerous on the curves but hey we drive cruisers no ferraris.
In fact about 2 months ago i almost rollover cause i turn to fast at a high speed and when i realize i was already driving in two wheels :frown: .

i don't know how i manage to control the cruiser but thank got everything was allright. just another history with the cruiser!!!

so there's no problem with your old shocks, just be carefull on your driving.

I am unfortunately not running any shocks in the rear at all, nor a tower for that matter. It's a little bouncy and hars especially with the lack of spring travel that I have, but it's not dangerous. You can survive for a week without shocks as long as you drive slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom