Decent AL SBC intake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1996-ish pre-vortec GM 350 that I am putting into the Piggy. I'll need an intake for the quadratoilet (spread bore) carb I'm going to use. What is a decent one? And should I really look into a matched cam/intake setup? The heads are off right now and I will have the set gasket matched also.

EDIT: I figure since it is easy to work on the engine right now I may as well spruce it up a little.

Piggy will have some 33's on it with a rear only locker, SM465/NP205.

i have always liked the edelbrok performer intake and there matching cam is pretty good too.

96 was first year of Vortec IIRC.

Regardless, call Summit and ask for their recommendation. Then can sell it to you also and their prices are as competitive as anyone.

Shameless plug indded but I have had great experiences with them and it doesn't hurt to give a shout-out to my hometown speed shop!

i have always liked the edelbrok performer intake and there matching cam is pretty good too.
Howdy! 2x on the Performer. For the price, you can't do better for low end performance and better gas mileage. John

X3 on the Edelbrock intake. I have dual plane intake with cam on my spruced up 406 SBC that is in my 40 and it runs great. Great low end torque and horsepower that carries through the engines power band. One suggestion for your intake is for you to get the Holley or compairable carburator heat shield. I have a Holly heat shield under my Holly 750 cfm carb and it keeps the carb alot cooler and alot less chance of having vapor lock in carb. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat and the heat shield keeps that down to a minimum on the carb.

I gotta ask

Why go carb? Did the engine come with tbi stuff?

If you do your research off idle to 5500rpm performance gains
typically are best with a Dual plane like the performer, which is a solid recommendation.

Instead of calling Summit, Jegs, Jc Whitney:rolleyes: How about you help keep a local shop in Biddness.
General store has decent selection and pricing.
(not suggesting these guys solely) There are a couple in town.

Not saying they are gonna slay the internet on pricing but whats a couple of bucks to keep a local speed shops doors opens
and you not having to wait for the Accel Hei distributor you didnt think you needed until thursday night. And the internet wont get it to you by friday night so you can go tear stuff up on Sat.

X2 on the matching cam might as well do it right.

also having great luck with the performer intake and holley carb with stock heads.

X3 on the Edelbrock intake. I have dual plane intake with cam on my spruced up 406 SBC that is in my 40 and it runs great. Great low end torque and horsepower that carries through the engines power band. One suggestion for your intake is for you to get the Holley or compairable carburator heat shield. I have a Holly heat shield under my Holly 750 cfm carb and it keeps the carb alot cooler and alot less chance of having vapor lock in carb. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat and the heat shield keeps that down to a minimum on the carb.

Carb. isolator? Check. I'd not have thought of that.

And I love Summit. I'll just call and tell them what I want, and see what options they have for me. I'll also verify the block while I'm on the phone.

Thanks guys!

Why go carb? Did the engine come with tbi stuff?

If you do your research off idle to 5500rpm performance gains
typically are best with a Dual plane like the performer, which is a solid recommendation.

Instead of calling Summit, Jegs, Jc Whitney:rolleyes: How about you help keep a local shop in Biddness.
General store has decent selection and pricing.
(not suggesting these guys solely) There are a couple in town.

Not saying they are gonna slay the internet on pricing but whats a couple of bucks to keep a local speed shops doors opens
and you not having to wait for the Accel Hei distributor you didnt think you needed until thursday night. And the internet wont get it to you by friday night so you can go tear stuff up on Sat.

X2 on the matching cam might as well do it right.

No tbi stuff. I'd love to have that but for this thing, I can't justify the need. I forget that the general store has an auto parts house....:whoops:

Shopping on the internet is easier I guess.

SBC carb heat shield

Here are pics of the carb heat shield. I have Hooker Super Competition block hugger headers on the 406 SBC. Block hugger headers is almost a necessity in a 40. A starter heat shield is a great investment. I learned the hard way that with block hugger headers you will cook your starter solenoid and starter without it. I tried get away without a shield but luckily I bought a starter with a great warranty. I knew better but was trying to save money at the time.
010.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg

Here are pics of the carb heat shield. I have Hooker Super Competition block hugger headers on the 406 SBC. Cast rams' horn manifolds are a necessity in a 40. A starter heat shield is a great investment. I learned the hard way that with block hugger headers you will cook your starter solenoid and starter without it. I tried get away without a shield but luckily I bought a starter with a great warranty. I knew better but was trying to save money at the time.

Fixed it for ya.

What rad has a centered top hose?

Did your core come with an intake and tbi unit? If so I could take them off your hands :).
5 mile auto. General store, and Snows have speed shops.
Stop in and look around sometime. Snows is more for the tuner crowd but has
lots of cool stuff. General store has good stock and good prices.

If you get a new Cam dont forget new lifters also.

Last edited:
It is an HD oversized Chevy radiator that I had recored and fabbed into the 40. I mated a Taurus electric fan to it and the fan fit almost perfectly with very little shroud cutting. It had no problems keeping the SBC cool even b4 adding the electric fan.

No matter what engine components you choose, just don't mis-match products---i.e. build for torque or build for h.p. & milage. The mistake is using a h.p. intake manifold and torquer cam. A Chevota is going to have plenty of torque, so I generally match components to produce maximun h.p. This generally increases milage, where building for torque doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom