December ROTM 2014 - Red Creek 12/28/2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

where the tracks on the map end, the trail continues to run in the creek bed all the way down to the Verde River - the creek may or may not be running

I'd love to make but my spotter works sat. But Sunday would work. But only if I can gets the funds together to get my brakes done I time which I doubt I will happen However if the planets align just right and I get a stellar paycheck next go around. I'll try and make it happen

It may work best on Sunday for a few others too. Maybe you will win the CBT and get the parts for your brakes.

I would like to attend this run, if you think we could get a stock mini through there again, and would be coming from flagstaff. Could meet at bloody basin and cave creek roads.

This looks like a fun one. I am in! :steer:

Please, keep me in the loop! If i forget, ask murf for my phone number! :cheers:

where the tracks on the map end, the trail continues to run in the creek bed all the way down to the Verde River - the creek may or may not be running

I have a couple of questions

1. Since it's not on the forest service map is it a legal trail?
2. Is state trust land going to be crossed at any point requiring the permit?

2. No state trust land crossed if going in via Cave Creek Road > FR24 Seven Springs route or via I-17 > Bloody Basin Rd

I have a couple of questions

1. Since it's not on the forest service map is it a legal trail?
2. Is state trust land going to be crossed at any point requiring the permit?

2. there is no crossing of state land if you approach FR18 from FR24/FR269 (Seven Springs Road/Sheep's Bridge Road)

1. FR18 is not closed yet, but on schedule to be closed according to several travel management maps - implementation of the new travel management plan has been delayed several times, pending environmental impact assessments and other administrative proceedings - info can be found here: http://data.ecosystem-management.org/nepaweb/fs-usda-pop.php?project=28967 Map Alternatives A and D show FR18 continued to the river; Map Alternatives B and C show it "decommissioned" (= closed); there is also a map that shows it as "administrative only" in one of the environmental impact statements

the Tonto Recreation Alliance (of which I am a member), has been working with Tonto National Forest personnel to discuss ways to keep favorite trails open, and how to maintain them - the TRAL website is here: http://www.tontorecreationalliance.org/ - some of the activities (not all) are covered here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/az-tral-tonto-recreation-alliance.298/

Last edited:
Thank for the reply. I figure anything this group was doing was completely legal. Just want to be 100% sure, do not want to be part of anything that gives certain groups a excuse to cry out for more trail closures.

I know the TRAL group is really active in the east valley/Tonto National forest. I'm in the west valley. Besides the drive across town for mid week meeting in the far east Mesa for reasons I would go into I'm unable to get away from the house more than a hour a two during weeks. Is there a reason there is no groups like this in the west valley? No national forest close by? I'm have a feeling this type of group would have little to no impact with the state on state trust lands. Unlike the Tonto National Forest with the valley close by Coconino National Forest only has Flagstaff which when you take away the seasonal students from NAU is not the big. Easier for groups like the Sierra Club which seems to be well organized and funded. Makes getting they way easier to do. While there is the Blue Ribbon Coalition it doesn't have the funds and from what I've seen is more about notification and then have the local organizes.

I don't think anything has changed yet with FR18 based on looking at Forest maps and online data. I do recommend having your State Land Trust permits as a rule anyway, very easy to do and turn around has been very fast.

Claudia, if you have any new reliable data on the trail being closed it would be greatly appreciated.

I have friends who just went in there hunting four weeks ago and the markers and trail were still there, appearing to be open as usual, but things change quickly these days.

Last edited:
Claudia, if you have any new reliable data on the trail being closed it would be greatly appreciated.

it is open as of right now - until the Travel Management Plan is implemented - and even then, it may not become closed if the Forest Service can be can convinced to take one of the plan alternatives that keep it open

I am trying to encourage those who have not been on FR18 to go, since it could be the last chance to see this beautiful area, at least via motorized travel (unless you have a small airplane - there's a dirt strip a short climb up from the river)

Last edited:
off topic, but who knows a good place to install air lockers

So, Sunday December 28th is the date. I'm looking forward to the trip.

sounds good!

So, Sunday December 28th is the date. I'm looking forward to the trip.

sounds good!

:hmm:Thought a big Cards fan like you murf would have preferred Saturday. But I guess it's this weeks game that matters. Cards win and they pretty much locked up the division. Lose and chances for anyone having to play Seattle at home aren't good. Guessing more than Cards fans are hoping the Cards win. Go Cards!

For those who have gone on this trail, better with running boards on or off. As in more likely to destroy running boards or with running boards off likely to damage rockers.

Here is a question for you murf. When I had my 100 series besides picking up a second pair of running boards I could have used off road I bought the front mud flap that were supplied when the cruiser came without running boards. Did the third generation have a front mud flap available?

CArds: Yes if they win this Sunday night - no worries. being the game on the 28th is in San Fran, Ill listen to the radio and DVR it to watch later.

Boards: Id rather hit the boards than the rockers. With careful driving and listening to a capable spotter, youll be ok.

Mud flap: I am assuming yours is a limited with the running board package? otherwise on non-limited models you can get a standard front mud flap that didnt integrate into any runnning board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom