December 9, Family Fun Run- New River Canyon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engineeredstuff.com
Trail is between I-17 and 7 springs road.
I know of a nice group of rocks we can have lunch on and the kids can play on.

Trail difficulty is easy/moderate, but could have washouts...mostly ridge running...

There are many trails in the area. Save the date!

Meet up Time: 0830
Depart Time: 0845
Meet up Location: Pinnacle Peak General Store
8653-8711 pinnacle peak rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Plan is to head north from meet up spot on Pima to seven springs road. Then head west on 41 per the map below.

IIR there is a last bathroom about 45 minutes up the road. Near seven springs camp ground.

For after lunch, there are hiking, trail riding , photography etc. opportunities depending on how you want to spend your time.

It may be shorter for west siders to continue on to I-17. We plan to skip the freeways and just go out and back.
Regards,
-JJG.

Last edited:
The family and I are in. My five year old said that it better be as cool as the sheeps bridge trip. If it is not you will have to answer to her. :p

Obsessing about planning

The trail I would like to run is described in Wells book (first edition). It is trail #39. This trail runs through State Trust Land. Which is permitted seperately from National Forest.

Anyway, it costs $20/year for a family permit. Can be done by mail. But not online. More information can be found here:

http://www.land.state.az.us/programs/natural/recreation_permit.htm

I have the permit, but I am willing to change the desitination/trail. We'll still meet somewhere, drive, and eat lunch somewhere ;)

But, I am willing to consider alternatives. Please suggest trails you think are easy to moderate, has a place for lunch with something interesting (shady spot, rocks to play on, or water). Something to keep a specific 5 year old happy! :candycane:

Please post up ideas, even if you don't plan to attend.
Please attend, even if you don't want to bring your family! Hopefully, we'll be cruising moderate trails in nice weather.

Thanks!

-JJG.
:santa:

Last edited:
Just a question, does the permit expire a year from purchase or is it good for calender years, i.e. if we bought one in December would we need another one for January?

It good for a calender year, I did ask the same question when I purchased mine in Nov 2011 and it was good for the 2012 year. Reminds me it time to re-up for 2013.

Note: The Tonto annual pass is good for year from the purchase date.

Just a question, does the permit expire a year from purchase or is it good for calender years, i.e. if we bought one in December would we need another one for January?
Good question. They are good for 12 months from date of purchase. I have had these permits for years. On the other hand, I have never heard of anyone getting a citation for not having one while CROSSING State Trust Land. If you plan on RECREATING long term on STL, then I would highly recommend a permit. If you do have one, then you don't ever have to worry about it.

My tag says April 2012 til April 2013. John

There is a lengthy discussion on the need for a State Trust Land (STL) permit here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/232352-state-trust-land-permit-increases.html. You are allowed to cross STL without a permit if you are on a highway or public road. There is about 3 miles from I-17 to the forest boundary that is on STL. If this section is considered a public road then no permit would be required, although I don't know the legal definition of public road.

Here is the trail from the new Wells' book. 19 miles, elevation 2,230 to 4,330. I did it last year at this time and it is stocker-friendly.

new river 2.jpg

There is a lengthy discussion on the need for a State Trust Land (STL) permit here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/232352-state-trust-land-permit-increases.html. You are allowed to cross STL without a permit if you are on a highway or public road. There is about 3 miles from I-17 to the forest boundary that is on STL. If this section is considered a public road then no permit would be required, although I don't know the legal definition of public road.
That thread is pretty inconclusive. It is 5 years old also. More recently, STL department has been a little less friendly. When Phil bought his tag about a year ago, they told him there was NO permission to cross STL on "public" roads without a permit. This is the latest news about STL dept, so maybe someone should contact the new guy and see what he says, since he is the "enforcing authority".

I recieved this from the Game and Fish Department:

"The Land Department is pleased to have Steve Rusiecki join us as the new Trespass Investigator. Steve has a 20 year history in law enforcement, including serving on the Eloy Police Department as a patrol officer. Most recently he was employed by the State as an investigator for the Az. Medical Radiologic Technology Board and the Az. Board of Education. Steve is responsible for management of the OHV Fund and has the lead in working on Law Enforcement activities. He retains the phone number 602-542-2695 and can be reached by e-mil at srusiecki@azland.gov" John

That thread is pretty inconclusive. It is 5 years old also. More recently, STL department has been a little less friendly. When Phil bought his tag about a year ago, they told him there was NO permission to cross STL on "public" roads without a permit. This is the latest news about STL dept, so maybe someone should contact the new guy and see what he says, since he is the "enforcing authority".

I recieved this from the Game and Fish Department:

"The Land Department is pleased to have Steve Rusiecki join us as the new Trespass Investigator. Steve has a 20 year history in law enforcement, including serving on the Eloy Police Department as a patrol officer. Most recently he was employed by the State as an investigator for the Az. Medical Radiologic Technology Board and the Az. Board of Education. Steve is responsible for management of the OHV Fund and has the lead in working on Law Enforcement activities. He retains the phone number 602-542-2695 and can be reached by e-mil at srusiecki@azland.gov" John

Questions email this guy he is the one I meet with

Ken Lamb
Environmental Resources & Trespass Section
Lamb@land.az.gov

I say do what you want everyone else does:rolleyes:

I've done that trail many times and it is always enjoyable. I especially prefer exploring some of the side roads off this trail and there are many of them. One of my favorites runs along the top of New River mesa, FR17. Unfortunately I am in Tucson this weekend otherwise I'd join.

...One of my favorites runs along the top of New River mesa, FR17. ...

Say it ain't so. :)

The view at the end somehow made up for having to drive half a day on basketball+ size rocks that move all the time...
Then again, if not for FR17, we wouldn't have learned the meaning of "...OffRoad Level 5...":)

The view at the end somehow made up for having to drive half a day on basketball+ size rocks that move all the time...
Then again, if not for FR17, we wouldn't have learned the meaning of "...OffRoad Level 5...":)

You know you are going to have to install one of those switches.:lol:

Oh no Brotha... those are only available on them there Rover thingy's :hillbilly:

Yes, basketball size is about right and that drive along the top of the mesa gets old but the views are hard to beat.

Add some snow and it smooths the road out a bit :D
P1070753.jpg

Sounds like fun, I'm in.

My brother and I ran this back in April/May of this year from the I-17 side and East, and it was a challenging climb in one section early on, but pretty easy throughout. There are bypasses for 2 of the obstacle sections, and we saw quite a few Jeeps out going both directions. The map says 19mi, but it does take some time to get in and out.

I'll take another look at this thread after planning this weekend, and will hold off my commitment until then. I had planned to take the 'Cruiser in sometime next week for a new head gasket; maybe this would make a good run before that service.

Thanks for posting to lead it, jjgarcia!

Trail is between I-17 and 7 springs road.
I know of a nice group of rocks we can have lunch on and the kids can play on.

Trail difficulty is easy/moderate, but could have washouts...mostly ridge running...

There are many trails in the area. Save the date!

Meet up Time: 0830
Depart Time: 0845
Meet up Location: Pinnacle Peak General Store
8653-8711 pinnacle peak rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Plan is to head north from meet up spot on Pima to seven springs road. Then head west on 41 per the map below.

IIR there is a last bathroom about 45 minutes up the road. Near seven springs camp ground.

For after lunch, there are hiking, trail riding , photography etc. opportunities depending on how you want to spend your time.

It may be shorter for west siders to continue on to I-17. We plan to skip the freeways and just go out and back.
Regards,
-JJG.

I was out that way a couple weeks ago and Seven Springs camp ground is closed with all services locked down. Just past the camp ground is a hiking trail head:rolleyes: and one of the bathrooms was open. If bathroom facilities is important I would call Cave Creek Ranger district ahead. The horse parking areas bathroom was also open.

I am in for Sunday. Since I'm coming across Cave Creek Rd, I'll plan to meet up with the caravan on Pima and Cave Creek intersection, and will monitor CB Channel 7 in the event that you can call ahead - I'll plan to be at that intersection by 9a to catch you guys as you roll past.

For anyone interested or on the North side of town, I'll be following the route through to I-17 to the West, and then South on I-17 back to Phoenix, so if anyone wants to tag along that direction, there's at least one of us doing a round robin vs. an out-and-back route. I drove this from West to East last time and am familiar with the trail over to Table Mesa Rd, and there's only one downhill section (coming from the East) which wil be rocky to get through. I make no recommendations on 'stocker-friendly', but won't leave anybody in the desert (!).

Looking forward to the run on Sunday,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom