Debugging a "New to Me" Low Mileage 2000 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

So, my insurance company totaled my 1999 LX470 after very minor accident. Luckily, not my fault. Anyway, I found 2000 LX470 replacement; one owner, 121K miles, some minor outside nicks and scratches. The interior is amazing. It's even the same color and trim as my 1999...so, it like driving a time machine.

But, this story has some twists and turns. During my initial investigation, there is a strange white powder residue in all the "nooks and crannies" around the 3rd row. I can't figure out what it is. It's been cleaned from most of the surface areas. But, it's under the fold up seats, in all the little storage compartments. Tool kit. Under the seals of the rear vent windows. The seller had no suggestions. Any ideas?

Also, the underside and engine bay also has heavy road grime...but it's white, almost like oxidation. It's on the plastic, metal, rubber. It does rub off...but won't wash off. Maybe a steam cleaner would remove it. Honestly, my 1999, with 265K miles, has a much cleaner engine and undercarriage. However, being a California car, away from the ocean, there is no rust to speak of...other that the crappy aftermarket front brake calipers. So, that is good.

Mechanically, every thing is appears normal for a 121K mileage ride...but something is not adding up. When she starts...there is a noticeable "tick". It lessens as she heats up, but is still there. In a side by side comparison with my 1999...it's definitely there. Coming from the engine. Ideas? Concerns.

Oil is golden and full. Maybe too full. I'm suspect a change just before selling...but no service record provided.

Next, the radiator overflow fluid is nice and pink. Very low, but still above the minimum. I refilled to the max...drive for 25 miles and it was down an 1/2" Refilled and testing now. No visible leaks or signs of previous leaks. I guess it possible that there is an internal leak that is burning the fluid, right?

The front right inside CV joint is missing the small band and is leaking real bad. This will need to be addressed now. Do I need to disassemble to repair?

Removed the wheels to check brakes and found each of the rear axles have one totally destroyed wheel stud & lug. Also, one rear brake rotor is OEM and the other is aftermarket. Vehicle service records provided show rear brake serviced in 2018. There is no way they would have been able to reuse the trashed stud/lug, so they either trashed it during the installation process or someone did afterwards. I just picked new studs and lugs and will be replacing today. Hopefully, this can be done with the axles in.

Timing belt needs to be replaced. Considering doing the job myself. If so, is OEM parts the way to go? I found several kits that include the water pump. Everything but the cam seals. Not sure if I need to do them...but as long as i'm there I should check them out. Most of the aftermarket kits are about the same price, except for the kit that includes the Gates belt...$200 more. Is it worth it?

I'm sure there is much more to discover and ponder. After happily driving a vehicle daily for 20+ years and 265K miles...you form a bond. I'm considering keeping her as she really only needs a front fender, bumper skin, headlight, turn-light and some paint. But, the insurance company want's $2500 for me to retain her...and they will mark my title as a "totaled" vehicle. Wife is against it...but we'll see.

Please chime in with any advice or ideas.

Thanks

Re: white power issue. Was the previous owner a drug mule, perhaps?

Hello All,

But, this story has some twists and turns. During my initial investigation, there is a strange white powder residue in all the "nooks and crannies" around the 3rd row. I can't figure out what it is. It's been cleaned from most of the surface areas. But, it's under the fold up seats, in all the little storage compartments. Tool kit. Under the seals of the rear vent windows. The seller had no suggestions. Any ideas?

Mold?

Mechanically, every thing is appears normal for a 121K mileage ride...but something is not adding up. When she starts...there is a noticeable "tick". It lessens as she heats up, but is still there. In a side by side comparison with my 1999...it's definitely there. Coming from the engine. Ideas? Concerns.

Probably exhaust manifold tick. I haven't experienced the issue but if you search it's fairly common: Is this the manifold tick, and will headers fix it?

The front right inside CV joint is missing the small band and is leaking real bad. This will need to be addressed now. Do I need to disassemble to repair?

You can get McMaster Carr clamps. You may want to clean the boot out, re-grease, and re-clamp. #5574K25 (4-4 3/4') and #5574K16 (1-1 5/8') from this thread for reference: CV Boot Clamps (McMaster-Carr) - The good ones

Haha that was my thought. #gumlinecheck

Thanks for the advice on the exhaust manifold tick and CV joint rehab. Oh yea and the good laugh...drug mule. Now I want to tear apart all the panels and see if they missed a few kilos.

AISIN TK021 - thats the only kit you should get for timing belt. Also, get the seals, and other pieces that you may refresh along the way. Find it in the FAQ.

Does the white powder smell like fuel? If not, you're good to go. Probably chalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom