death wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.urbanlandcruisers.com
OK, so I have searched all over for an answer. 2.5" lift, 2" over shackles,33 x 9.50 BFGs well balenced, rebuilt knuckles and bearings. 2.5' shims. Tracks straight, correct toe in, does not pull, no hwy issues.

If I hit a bump just right I get the death wobble. Sorta scary at 70mph.

Any ideas?

Which way are the shims installed? If it is stock spring location the thick side of the shim should be forward.

Could this be bump steer ? Just thowing it out there. And Dave if this is in a 40...slow down :eek:

Sorry not enough info. I flame people for the same things :doh:

1988 62. All new tie rod ends also. SHims are in the correct orientation. The pumpkin looks correct.

No bump steer to speak of. It does track a bit funny but nothing to worry much about.

I have never had death wobble with the fleet and I have lifted and shimmed and extended all sorts of stuff. Until last week I thought death wobble was like tyres way out of balance. Now I know the real feeling and I dont like it.

i had a similar issue with myy 40. ended up that it was toed out. Thanks again alignment shop. Scard as hell when it first happened.

Hmmm, if all the tie rods, bushings etc are all good and your steering geometry is fine, toe and caster are ok...what about the shocks ??

Try rolling the front axle back a bit more with some four degree shims. Mine didn't like the one degree called out in the book. I'm now running about four degrees and it is a whole different rig.

Shocks and ft sway bushings are new shocks are OME bushings are energy suspension. I might try 4' shims but it all "looks" right witht eh 2.5' shims.

don't know for sure but the only other thing I can think it may be is the steering damper, or maybe wheel bearings, if they're loos they could cause it to shake too.

Loose u-bolts can cause this also.

Verify that they are tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom