1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

death wobble

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dylan, Sep 28, 2003.

1. dylan

dylan

at around 40 mph my recently finished fj45 shakes like a mofo as well as under hard braking. could it be:the 3" longer shakles on the back(the pinion angle looks okay),a unbalanced driveshaft or maybe tires?anything else? :cheers:

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

Did you lift the front with shackles too? Is it a wobble in the front end felt through the steering or a vibration from the drivetrain?

3. dylan

dylan

its not through the steering

4. hammerhead

hammerhead

Use an angle finder to check rear pinion angle. Use shim set to drop pinion back down to proper angle.

5. hammerhead

hammerhead

I bumped one up for you. Check out the "shims" thread.

6. 1Fine40

1Fine40 Rust Buster SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek: I had a similar problem when I installed new lift springs a few years ago..found that the u-bolts were not completely tight after a few days of driving the rig..After re-torquing everything back to specifications, I had no further problems. :cheers:

7. dylan

dylan

actually the truck did this when i bought it a year ago (i thought it was just unbalanced tires) with original shackles. and i've put new tires and wheels on it as well so i think its driveshaft, u joint or brake related. when i reaf on the drive shaft it does not move(up and down).its smooth slower and faster than around 35 to 45 mph